New Camaro Officially Official Reveal : Engine Specs Inside

Just saw that, freaking V6 puts out just as much horsepower as the current Mustang GTs. Grr.

damn that thing looks good. I’d rock it.

relax i doubt its gonna be to the wheels its probly engine hp… and if it is you know ford has that new motor technology that gets v8 power out of a v6 without compromising fuel economy …let the v6 fun begin LOL… it will be nice to see more domestic ponys on the road. not sure if i would own a car that turns its cylinders off. im not so sure i trust that shit lol… you know diablo and sct will be all over trying to turn that shit off…

Of course it’s crank output – The only time you get a production vehicle rated at the wheel is if it’s the upper-echelon model and it’s being underrated. Even then, GM seems to follow a policy of a flat 20 HP underrate. The LS6, for example, at 405 (425).

Yea it’s definitely crank, but still the new mustang GT’s are rated at 300hp.

Wonder if it will burnout…

fbody ls1’s are underrated by a lot, the vette and the fbody both have the same ls1 but some how the vette has more hp :confused

must be the flip up lights on the vette

they had to rate the vette with more HP because its their “top sports car” and having a F-body that made the same or more HP for a lower cost would do nothing but hurt sales for the vette…even tho they are the same motor, they had to rate the vette higher

Agreed. The Corvette sets the performance/$ curve for GM. Anything that has ever threatened it gets the ax.

The '79 455 WS6 Trans-Am (which was faster, more agile than the 'Vette that year)
The Grand National

Hell, a late 4th Gen SS 1LE . . .

Add to that list the Syclone and Typhoon

yup…

I also heard this which I think is kinda fucked up for GM to do this and kinda fucks up the whole history of the camaro…

I read somewhere that the Camaro SS is a 400hp LS2 while the camaro Z28 is a 500hp supercharged ls2??? Correct me if im wrong, but ever since 67’ hasnt the SS been the step up from a Z28?? Why all of a sudden would they change that? Kinda pisses me off.

Apparently the SS is a 416 HP LS3 (6.2) and the Z/28 is a supercharged LSA (6.2).

The SS was a suspension package attached to the 327 and 350 small blocks. The Z/28 was a special 302 Trans Am racing engine. Z/28s were special race-bred fuckers. High strung, light and stripped out.

The SS badge is all but meaningless at this point, but the Z/28s (once upon a time) were a completely different animal. Not particularly dominant in a straight line drag race, but rev-happy madmen on the track. They ate Boss 302s with ketchup and relish.

The Z28 was the top of the line camaro. Just because it had a 302 instead of the SS’s 350, or 396 doesent mean the SS was a higher model. The Z28 was a production race car for the trans am series with a high reving class limited 302 small block. The Z28 was a road race car and the SS was a drag strip monster.

2010 haha horseshit i saw one on I90 when we were coming home from fireworks on the fourth!!! lucky bastard… must be somebody special? it was the orange one… but didnt get close enough to see the model or anything it did look sick though!

Well, the big-block SSs were pretty bad boys on the drag strip. The Z/28 was not the TOP Camaro, it was just a special package for racing. There were special racing packages that trumped it – namely the COPO Camaros.

It was only the 4th Gen Camaros where the SS was definitively above the Z/28, after it had long ceased to be a race-spec vehicle (unless you opted for the 1LE package.

is this that hooked on 240 kid or suttin huffin fumes again …or does g/m have a test track near his house cause they aint out yet :crackup

who ever owned an aluminum block 600hp COPO Camaro tho? This was not an option to the general public. There were Baldwin Motion and other tuners also offering packages that could be ordered thru select dealers

There were 2 COPO packages – 9560 and 9561. I think 9560 was the ZL1 (which you refer to); actual horsepower to this day is undisclosed, but at 13:0-to-1 static compression it was certainly higher than 430 HP. One of the guys in the powertrain division said they never had one dyno under 500.

The other COPO package was the L88, iron block, aluminum heads. They were more prolific than the hens-tooth ZL1s.

The whole reason behind the COPOs was that they WERE for the general public. The general racing public, anyway. Even the '67 Z/28s were unbadged, unknown cars. It wasn’t until '69 that they really became popular, and the production numbers reflect it.

The COPOs were build because Baldwin-Motion and Yenko couldn’t keep up with the demand for big-block Camaros with big-inch (400+) engines.

all i can say is yuck.

I’ll stick to 1st and 2nd gens. thank u.

SBC427. when u buying the wife one?? i know she probably drewling over it!!!lol