New car

well…im not REALLY in the market for a new car. but i was looking for one for my gf and came across the new deals on sonatas. its o% financing for 72 months. this is a pretty damn good deal. the car is a little more than what i would be looking for, but at that rate you cant go wrong. anyone else have input? im looking for something similar. maybe a civic, accord, etc. i havent really looked too far into used ones. but should i jump on this or look for a nice used like a G35 or something? any input would help. anyone know someone who could knock a few hundred off at a dealership?

If you are really interested in a Hyundai, PM Slopoke he works at a dealership and can get you the best deal.

its hard to have a sonata and G35 in the same conversation

i wouldn’t buy a car just because of the interest rate.

that being said, the sonata is a decent car. it’s nothing spectacular, but it’s not a piece anymore either. they come with a good warranty and have some decent options, and don’t look hideous. but the second you drive it off the lot, it’ll probably depreciate about 20% to 25%.

you’ll get the most bang for your buck out or something used though, let someone else pay the depreciation.

[quote=“RobtC,post:4,topic:39584"”]

i wouldn’t buy a car just because of the interest rate.

that being said, the sonata is a decent car. it’s nothing spectacular, but it’s not a piece anymore either. they come with a good warranty and have some decent options, and don’t look hideous. but the second you drive it off the lot, it’ll probably depreciate about 20% to 25%.

you’ll get the most bang for your buck out or something used though, let someone else pay the depreciation.

[/quote]

Exactly

PM S101

Look at a Legacy. Lease. Win.

When you’re financing a car, interest rate offers can be a pretty legit deal. Current interest rates suck. Get your own new car loan and you’re looking at 6-8%.

Sonata’s are, what? 18k?

5 years @ 0% = 18k out of pocket
5 years @ 8% = 22k out of pocket

Used G35’s typically fetch around $25k. Plus the interest rate would be higher. Kind of a different league than the Hyundai. :shrug:

well, not necessicerily a g35, but something nicer than a sonata. i drove it yesterday and i really like it. i would prob go for the limited one. it has everything. if the deal is right, i might just go for it. but the thing is…if i get a used car around the same price, the interest will be about $70-90/month extra. thats a lot of scratch. i know i will get killed when i drive it off the lot, but with all things considered it may be the better deal.

[quote=“dlatone,post:7,topic:39584"”]

well, not necessicerily a g35, but something nicer than a sonata.

[/quote]

so like… anything?

its actually a pretty nice car. they have come a long way.

[quote=“dlatone,post:9,topic:39584"”]

its actually a pretty nice car. they have come a long way.

[/quote]

+1. When people used to come to me asking about hyundai’s I’d tell them to stay away, but that’s really not the case anymore.

Real good read here. Car and Driver long term test:
http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/13633/2006-hyundai-sonata-lx.html

I think this impresses me most of all, especially after looking at my history of warranty repairs on my GTO

After 40,000 miles, everything still operated as advertised, zero repairs required. The turn-signal and wiper stalks still moved with silky ease. The leather looked fine—even the leather on the steering wheel hadn’t become shiny. And the vinyl and plastic trim pieces, previously a Hyundai weakness, showed few scars or scuffs.

A lot of people will say buy used and save money, but most of the people on here work on their own cars. I would never buy a brand new car, but in the past 5 years I think I’ve had maybe one or two repairs done by professionals while doing everything else myself. If you don’t want to or know how to turn a wrench a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranty sure looks nice. And 10/100k powertrain even better.

I work on them, they are junk, don’t believe the “initial quality surveys” After 5 years it will be rusty, worthless, and falling apart. The new Sonatas have so many problems with the electrical systems, brakes, oil leaks. Things that shouldn’t fail, fail regularly like brake light switch (tied into the ABS and ESC system) seat belt buckles (when they fail, the airbags won’t work until the bad buckle is replaced). We also have '08 Impreza’s for $179 a month for 42 months, buy that instead.

[quote=“dlatone,post:7,topic:39584"”]

well, not necessicerily a g35, but something nicer than a sonata. i drove it yesterday and i really like it. i would prob go for the limited one. it has everything. if the deal is right, i might just go for it. but the thing is…if i get a used car around the same price, the interest will be about $70-90/month extra. thats a lot of scratch. i know i will get killed when i drive it off the lot, but with all things considered it may be the better deal.

[/quote]

You will get killed when you want to sell it after those 72 months, you could spend $2000 more for a Camry and have it be worth twice as much as the Sonata after 5 years. If you really want a Sonata, lease it for no more than 3 years, then walk away. DO NOT BUY ONE, you will be throwing your money away.

Look at the new Malibu?

if you would like a new GM, Ford or Toyota i can help as well as almost any used car. As far as Hyundai goes they have come a long way and are inexpensive. I sold one to a family friend and he loves it as has no problem as hard as it is for me to give a good comment on a Hyundai. The guys are right as far as buying something based on price. I have been telling customers for years not to buy based on price because it doesn’t matter how cheap it is if you don’t like it. If you don’t like it you won’t be happy so chose what you like, not just whats cheap.

g35 is a piece of shit… its faux luxury, i was never impressed with the interiors, the suspension blows, stock acceleration is pretty good, but other than that meh i guess its fine for your gf its a chick car

[quote=“TORQDSS,post:14,topic:39584"”]

if you would like a new GM, Ford or Toyota i can help as well as almost any used car. As far as Hyundai goes they have come a long way and are inexpensive. I sold one to a family friend and he loves it as has no problem as hard as it is for me to give a good comment on a Hyundai. The guys are right as far as buying something based on price. I have been telling customers for years not to buy based on price because it doesn’t matter how cheap it is if you don’t like it. If you don’t like it you won’t be happy so chose what you like, not just whats cheap.

[/quote]

looking for something small around 10-14k for my gf (prob toyota, scion, honda)

i am looking for something 15-20k maybe. depends on what it is. let me know what you can do for me.

well we have tons of cars like that. take a look on www.basilcars.com and let me know what you like then i can price everything for you. Are you looking for trucks or cars?