Hyundai surprises me more and more every day...

Anyone else think this looks super sharp for such a cheap sedan?

http://image.motortrend.com/f/30470576+w750/2012-hyundai-genesis-sedan-rear-in-motion.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/30491873+w750/2012-hyundai-genesis-front-three-quarters.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/30491879+w750/2012-hyundai-genesis-side-top.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/35974821+w750/2012-hyundai-genesis-sedan-front-three-quarters.jpg

Even more interesting is they are offering an R-spec edition in the near future. 430 horsepower with an 8 speed automatic. I’m sure they will kit the car accordingly which I’m very interested to see how that looks. Maybe a cheaper competitor to the C63 AMG?

The only thing I really don’t like about this car is the wheels, steering wheel, and the trim they use for the shifter. They all look cheap.

Then again, it is a hyundai.

cheap? That’s a gensis 4 door right? it starts at 33k for v6 and 43k for v8

I don’t consider that cheap

Transmissions are as bad as razors these days with the gear wars. Before long they are going to catch up to bicycles and rock 21-speed auto’s.

i like the back and sides of the car, but when i get to the front i think its hideous. kinda like a butterface.

For the sector they compete in it’s like 5-10k cheaper than it’s competition. This is supposed to be a 5 series or E-class type car from what I understand.

I think it’s a great looking car, it’s just way too expensive for the name badge.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

What sector? You can’t honestly tell me that anyone who would consider a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus/Inifiniti would really give this a second look. Hell they wouldn’t give it a first look.

The V6 might sell, but nobody is going to go up to that 43k mark on this.

Yea everyone I know with a BMW, Lexus, Merc, whatever wouldn’t look twice at this…especially the none car people.

I’m not saying they would. I’m just stating that this is what they are trying to target. Instead of trying to but heads with me on this how about you understand I am just stating a fucking fact that they (HYUNDAI) TARGETS the MERCEDES, AUDI, AND BMW E-CLASS, A6, AND 5-SERIES.

Anyways. I think 50,000 for a car that makes 430 horse that is 8 thousand dollars cheaper than the C63 AMG is a bargain considering they make similar power and the Hyundai is a bigger car. Then again it’s up to quality at that point.

ok, yeah…they’re targeting those companies, but they’re missing by a mile.

Well then that’s Hyundai’s problem isn’t it?

well, yeah

how are they missing? what didn’t they do? It the same thing as saying you wouldn’t buy an LS400 in the 90s because it’s Japanese.

If they want to take aim at Mercedes and BMW there’s already a winning game plan out there… Lexus. Toyota didn’t start marketing 50k Toyotas, they created a new brand that could be marketed to be in that price range. I think Hyundai is making a big mistake thinking they’ll be able to play in that field with their existing brand name. People buying luxury sedans don’t want to share the brand with economy cars.

:word:

Their name is associated with low end crap I know they’re bringing up their image with the current line of vehicles but making the jump to high end on the same name :tif:

Americans are so stupid sometimes, but you guys are right about the branding.

I was just going to bring that up…
Back in '90, who would have bet on Lexus being up there with BMW/Mercedes etc.
LS400

ES250
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/3364645740_405a0eac5f.jpg

Lexus broke into that market and had to start somewhere, why couldn’t Hyundai?

I think Genesis WILL be their new brand (they already have 2 completely different genesis cars out), but in my opinion, they’ve only STARTED to build consumer trust in their lower end line of cars. They need to continue to build a reputation for some time longer before I would consider them to bas as good as nissan,toyota,honda,etc… Then, when they’ve caught up to the others in reputation they can branch off a luxury brand. I just think it’s too soon.

On the subject of Lexus, toyota had already been making cars and building a reputation for a long time before they forked lexus.

On the token of branding, I think they are making a slow transition to Genesis. They already have 2 Genesis model vehicles that are completely different platforms, also notice that there aren’t any Hyundai badges on either of them.

I think they should have waiting another 5-8 years before branching this luxo brand though. 2 new lineups of phenomenal Hyundai’s with GOOD reliability numbers and cheap, then spawn the luxo brand.

Id buy a preowned one… for 1/2 price… 1 year after its debut…

Other than that… for 40-50k… id rather buy a year old… CPO’ed NAME brand.

body lines look like an e60

Look at VW’s run with the Phaeton, or Subaru’s with the SVX. Premium cars, entry-level badging, low sales, eventual discontinuing or death. Americans are picky.