New Developments in F1 rules

Looks like there is talk of bringing back slicks for 2007 :smiley: . Also, there is a proposed new wing design that would allow the cars to race more closely together (instead of having no downforce when they are following closely.

Check it out:

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/zoom05/fia-cdg-z-02_241005.jpg

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/zoom05/fia-cdg-z-01_241005.jpg

The only minus I see is the wing is a major advertising space. If they chop it into two pieces, they will lose a lot of money.

spiffy

interesting point on the wing advertising. but we already have one nascar, do we really need them all packed together?

it cost money to run an F-1 car they need all the sponsership they can get

Yes. And the NASCAR analogy doesn’t quite fit since F1 only does road circuits. To get a good idea of how good having the cars being able to run close together, take a look at the GP2 feeder series. There would be so much passing, and maneuvering. The races would be so much more exciting.

The increased surface area may suprise you on advertising. You don’t have the one big surface anymore, but the smaller surfaces resulting may lend itself to a smaller price tag, and they could ultimately pick up more money. I think the inside surface of the wing support (or outside? The two surfaces exposed in the center of the car) would be a nice spot, as well as the back of the car being visible now. It could work…

Either way - they look hot

looks awesome

:tup:very interesting…and the pics help to illustrate the point

I really like the idea of splitting the wing…makes sence

Interesting, but the GP2 cars don’t use this kind of design and yet they have no problems running close together… Maybe they need to let F1 have their underbody downforce back.

But you have to remember, this is FIA and nothing is allowed to make sense. So instead of allowing the underbody aero (especailly after the engine change over), they will simply come up with a complex wing design that will most likely drive the chassis engineers insane… if they aren’t there already.

:word: Besides, who cares about the sanity of a few chassis and wind tunnel engineers? :gotme: