new engine break in

getting ready for first start up on my 383 stroker.what are your opinions on break in procedures.links,articles,personal experiences. this varies quite a bit from what iv’e read so far. check this out and see what you think…
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

yes.

flat tappet cam? if so 10-15 minutes at 2000-2500 rpm to break it in. change oil and filter right after that. when its road worthy, take it on the highway or a long road and vary RPM to seat the rings. then beat the hell out of it. thats what ive always done. just watch your oil pressure and check for leaks frequently.

this.

only 10-15 mins. iv’e heard as long as a half hour.sounded a little crazy to me though especially at 2500 rpm. i bought some royal purple break-in oil.should i use it first then switch to synthetic or use conventional (pennzoil,castrol etc) then use the rp.they say you don’t wanna use syn. for the break-in period.the rp break-in oil is non synthetic.

+1

i’VE ALWAYS GONE 20-30 MINS 2-2500 w/ break in lube (crane) in the crankcase

start out with break in oil/non synthetic
ive always let it idle around 1500-2000 rpm untill the fan kicks on
change oil
check for leaks

take out on road and do 20% throttle up to 3,000 and engine break down, do this to 75% of what the motor will be reved to (6,000 rpm if going to 8,000 etc)

bring it back change the oil, and then throw it on the dyno for a full tune

another 3-5000 miles change to synthetic and do retune (should make more power then before)

cool this helps a lot. mine might not be road worthy this year.i still have to get a custom true dual exhaust fabbed up. i wonder what a speed shop would charge to do the break in on a dyno?

So far the recommendations are good… On initial start up, run the engine at 1800-2500 for 25 minutes, varying the speed. Every once in awhile burp it to 3000+. This throws more oil off the crank onto the cam which is a good thing. Keep a close eye on the water temp and oil pressure during this time. Don’t let it overheat!! When the cam break in is done, drain your oil and refill with NON SYNTHETIC oil. I recommend an oil like Valvoline VR1 racing oil, or something similar that still has lots of ZDDP in it. If you don’t run an oil with lots of ZDDP or a ZDDP additive, your cam WILL go flat. No questions. When you take it out on the road the first time, run it fairly easy until it gets up to temp. Then beat on it. Do some pulls from 20-60mph at 80-100% throttle. This will seat the rings. After you do that a bunch of times you’re pretty much good to go. Just don’t cruise at one speed for long periods. Vary it as much as you can for the first 3000 miles. Change the oil again after about 500 miles and put non synthetic back in it. Run another 2500 miles, then change to synthetic. Have fun