New GM engine for Tonawanda

General Motors has just announced a $494 million investment to build the next generation of Ecotec engines.

The biggest chunk by far – to the tune of $425 million, to be exact, bringing along with it 470 new jobs – will go towards GM’s Tonawanda, N.Y., engine plant, which is where the aforementioned Ecotec engines will be manufactured. The rest of it will be divided up between GM’s plants in Defiance, Ohio ($59 million) and Bay City, Michigan ($10.5 million).

GM hasn’t yet announced what new forms the Ecotec will take. At present, the four-cylinder powerplant is available in 2.0-, 2.2- and 2.4-liter sizes and comes standard in a wide range of products from The General, including the new Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain in its 2.4-liter guise and fitted with direct injection and variable valve timing.

heard about this last night on 930AM, they said its the “engine of tommorow”, I’d like to see that

If I hear them say “for pontiac and chevy brands” one more time on 930am I might punch my radio.

Rumor has it they are going to put it in the new Olds…

or the opel

Pontiac still exists for the Solstice right?

VVT?

siqqqqq vtec!

But really, nearly 500 jobs to WNY, that’s not bad at all. :tup:

That is great news! YAY WNY

how soon will those jobs be lost or downsized?^^

hey hey hey there will be none of that kind of talk!

Great news for the plant that just lost the “BIG BLOCK” truck engine.

No they killed both Saturn and Pontiac. So the Solstice and Sky died with it.
They tried to shop the platform. At one point the rumor was Deloran cars was going to buy it, but nothing materialized.

They still own Opel

this is great news!

hope to see something of quality out of the general

:tup:
My Tonawanda taxes depend on GM and the like :slight_smile:

yeah it’s great news for the family members of GM employees. but those of us who came out of the wrong crotch will never see one of those 500 jobs.

I wonder how many will have to return to work after losing their job?

As far as family members go… I’d bet a lot of guys would discourage their family from taking a job there these days…

Hrmmmm I think I might be in line for a career change…

Why don’t they make just ONE ecotec motor
Make everything the 2.4L

they dropped the SS division right?

:tif: