New guy

I’m sure nobody in here drives a 2008 Chevy Malibu but I need to vent… omg why is it so bad?

For the first time in history my roommates and I have class schedules such that on some days we can carpool without massive inconvenience. One of my roommates drove yesterday, so I drove today. Aside from the fact that it took three tries and a running start in the garage to get out of the driveway (it has some weird cheapo bridgestones on it, which seems very unamerican so I almost think they aren’t stock --less than 9k miles on the car though so yeah), the rear passenger door wouldn’t close.

Nothing was iced up, the car had been sitting in the garage for almost 2 full days since it was last driven. The door opened fine, then you close it and … nothing. The latch just… doesn’t latch at all. My roommate had to sit in the back seat and hold the door close for the 6 mile drive to campus. I didn’t have time to really figure out what the hell is going on. I don’t know if I should deal with it or call Enterprise and make them swap the car. Right now if anyone wanted to the door can just be pulled open with no effort.

I’m afraid that if I call them they’ll swap me for a much, much worse car, i.e. a G5 or cobalt. The Malibu is really low quality but at least it isn’t pretending to be a sporty car or anything.

now I need to find a Malibu forum to see if there’s a quick fix for this aside from tying a rope between the two rear doors. No matter what the car thinks the door is ajar though. I played with the latch mechanism with a key and if I pretend like I’m the bar going into the latch it does lock around it and the only way to release it is pulling the door handle, everything at least seems totally normal.