New Intake Manifold and turbo for My KA-T

Well ive been super busy at the shop but i got around to making my short runner intake manifold for the KA, im running bikirom so i had to maintain the idle control system.

Manifold is all aluminum made everything myself, currently its sandblasted so i need to decide whether to polish it or paint it.

here it is.

here is the turbo, its a genuine garrett that i rebuilt, its a T3/T4 stage 3 shaft, .70 A/R comp and .86 a/r turbine husing. dont remember the trim but i think it was 68 trim.

all going into this.

that looks like a job well done to me, but I dont know much about fabrication so, but what I am wondering is where the intake runners meet the TB housing did you weld it from the inside ? I cant see the welds…

yes its welded from the inside, the flat plate was welded on first then the tube to the plate then the end caps.

what type of welder did you use?

miller syncrowave 180sd

its mainly a tig welder but also has a arc add-on.

What kind of work goes into designing and fabricating one of these? Are their

baffles or chambers inside? Im interested in building one in the future but know

very little about the work that goes into one.

What does it improve? how much Hp would you assume?

great work !! I will probably make the exact thing when my KAT project gets on the way.
are you running velocity stack on this at all?

Im thinking of welding it the exact same way, first the flat plate to the runners from the inside then the half moon pipe. still I would add more weld to the outside of the runners.

what gage of alluminum are you using?

any difficulties welding to the cast alluminum runners? thats one of my concerns

no baffles inside its just a straight tube, you want that so air flow to each runner a evertless.

doba. the half moon pipe was actually a gmc draftshaft that i cut up and cut a side off of it to make it a half moon. the welds are sufficient to hold and do what they need to do. no need to get all sloppy.

im running a internal velocity stack basically the runners go inside and i have ported them to tapper inside the runner.

total time spent was around 4 hours.

the end tanks i also made from 3/4 inch aluminum plate.

you think you could take a pic from inside through the TB to show me how you ported and tapered the inside runners.

I realize the additional difficulty with trying to do so, but you should have tried making a plenum that tapers off toward the back, because this way you’re not going to get equal flow into all the cylinders.

to be ohnest i could have built a 2000$ dollar manifold, there is nothing stopping me as i can fabricate anything pretty much.

the tappered design plenum would be benificial but the whole point is to have a large volume area for the head to be able to grab air from. this design is not simple but yet it is not the most difficult.

the point of this manifold is to get more air into the engine and free up tons of room around the engine bay, plus it looks great.

if i build a superman style manifold down the road it will be flow benched and tuned for each runner and distance from throttle plate.

thanks for the comments guys.

youre right, this might not be the greatest design in manifold but widely used cause it cleans up the bay, looks awesome, and still out performs a stock manifold.

good job.

With a turbo motor plenum volume is much more important than tuning the design.

If the plenum is full, and you’ve got a bunch of boost, as soon as that intake valve opens, the chamber WILL be filled to capacity.

I like it.

The only suggestion I would have made is to alter the TB plate to accommodate something larger, possibly non-nissan. 60mm can only cut it so far.

yeah i had a throttle body in mind, but the reason i went this route is so i dont have too many variables to deal with when i slap it all together, once the car is tunned with the new manifold and turbo then i will upgrade the throttle body.

step by step.

I totally hear you.

I just mentioned as a “down the road” thing.

If you ever decide to make more and sell them, being able to offer an 80mm BBK TB with it would be a big selling point for the big turbo guys.

Nice job, and for the time invested, it came out great.