kat project ( please dont screw this one up )

I finally completed my project and it feels great. I started putting everything together on Saturday night by removing the stock exhaust and all, started putting things in on Sunday (cutting pipe with a hack saw is a bitch, all 7 of them) Took me all day but got her running by 5 pm. Everything is bolted up but the downpipe (should have this done this week for sure)
Car feels way faster already. That big turbo spool like a T25, Sounds crazy and loud, you would swear that I have a supercharged 240sx.
I took it around the block without downpipe and it feels fast. I have a blown through setup on my car with the filter right on the turbo, also using a 38 ml wastegate and DSM BOV.
I just have a bunch of vacuums line to replace because the one bought from CT all started to melt already. Will post some picture later today. I still have to hook up the boost gauge (john, The light is now working), do a homemade safc2 tune and tap vacuums lines.
Problem that I have so far is to figure out where the crankcase ventilation hose goes. I also have to check for leaks on the entire system. Everything will be coming off this weekend weather permitting to have the entire intercooler system painted.

Blow through setup eh? Interested in pics for sure. Especiall your i/c piping.

as promise .And it works , Just need to clean up a bit .

From all that I have read, a blow-through setup requires roughly 12" of
straight piping (with 6" before and after the MAF) for it to function well.

You seem to have a bend rather early.

How is it working out from you?

I have seen othe prople who don’t have the straight pipe requirements
that manage to do fine. :dunno:

Nice, another SOHC ka-t.

I noticed you relocated the battery but didn’t run your intercooler piping through the tray. Any reason for that or?

And doesn’t your intake suck in really hot air being placed where it is?

I relocated the battery because I got a killer deal on the relocation kit , I will use that spot for something such as a oil catch can , will use other side for the msd btm box coming very soon .I just could not find a matterial hard enough to cut through the battery support . :lol:
I will relocated the filter but I am having a hard time finding a 4 inch pipe to extend the filter . I use some tape for prevent the filter from falling off, glue started to melt already .
One good thing is that the brake master and line stay very cool and the turbo clear both the engine mount and tower .Not a bad design IMO.
I am not having any maf problem so far , i just had to change the maf / afc setting after putting the maf before the trottle body . I am currenly not running any boost and disconnected the wastegate but the car pulls harder already .

You should have space to bolt your oil catch can to the strut tower.

You could probably use pvc piping if you wanted to extend your filter, use a silicone tube and clamp it on.

You might want to run an electric fan as well since it doesn’t look like your clutch fan is doing much… it needs the shroud to be effective.

oooeeee!

You have to have at least 6" of pipe before the TB dudeman…

You will be boosting, lift throttle and BOOM!

ok , This is serious
Is it 2 inches or 6 inches ?, While doing my reseach I got so many inconsistant number .
I will look into this asap , I can always move the maf on the pipe going up to the trottle body from the intercooler in the meantime .

Min 6"

Is that Duct tape I see on the filter element before the turbo? If it is I seriously think you need to step back for a second, find the proper parts and then go ahead and drive the car. I know you want this thing on the road but damn dont cut corners that poorly.

To confirm, the blow through setup does need a minumum of 6 inches.

There is no problem with the car , Runs fine and boost fine .
I am not gonna remove the entire turbo system because the cheap filter I bought has started to melt :roll: . I will do s14_2nv say by using the pcv piping to put the filter away fron the heat .
Worse case , I will just run the car with no filter :twisted:
I will move the filter this saturday to the bottom part of the charge pipe and that should give me the 6Inch < clearence needed .
Just wondering ? what will happen if it’s too close to the intake ? i dont seem to have any problem boosting / driving . And please dont just say it it’s gonna blow .

If the maf is too close to the turbo it should give you idle problems…

How is your idle and what timing are you running?

Timing is set to stock 15 degree , will retard further more when I start tuning it . The idle is good so far at 750 , but I always had an idle problem when cold , started even before I turbocharged the car .

I’m not an expert on KA24Es but stock timing on DEs is 20 TDC not 15.

I’m not an expert on KA24Es but stock timing on DEs is 20 TDC not 15.[/quote]

It’s 15 TDC for the SOHC.

as I told you before, if you have proper amount of fuel you don’t need to retard. I ran 7psi all day long at stock 15deg. Get the thing on the dyno and tune it properlly if you only want to spend the money on an SAFC.

Andrew.

Can anyone refer me to a dyno where I can have my car tuned this week end ?

The guys ar TAG are usually pretty flexible…

J&R tune cars tuesdays and thursdays…