New shower valve

So our shower had been leaking for a while. I replaced o-rings a handful of times and that would work for a little while but I finally had enough screwing around and decided to change out the valve and everything. I contacted 1QIKZ about ordering a new valve for me, but as it turns out, Moen was about 3 weeks delivery time from the factory. I checked Amazon and for around the same price had everything in 5 days. I had a few ProPress fittings left over from a job I did like 5 years ago so I figured I would just use them up. I rented a ProPress gun for $50 which seemed cheaper than paying someone to sweat the new valve in. Here is what I started with and what the final product looks like. I am happy, and more importantly, the wife is happy.

We decided to go from a two to one handle and I decided to throw some shutoff valves in for any future work that has to be done. Hopefully not by me.

Love my PEX.

Oh ya here is the crimping gun. It’s freaking huge but awesome.

I saw these fitting on This Old House a couple years ago…I need a paradigm shift (My father was a steamfitter for 43 years = Solder everything).

Ya I would like to learn how to solder and could probably do it but its an expensive hobby to practice. Oh well some day maybe.

The good news is that these “new” methods seem just as reliable as soldering…so I think your safe. Soldering in that location can be very dangerous.

Not really.

+1… I taught myself after years of thinking it was some sort of voodoo. The big thing is making sure the pipes are 100% dry since any water will turn to steam and make it impossible to solder and that they joints are really clean and properly fluxed. Once you do that it takes surprisingly little heat and very little time to build a copper system that can easily be taken back apart for future repairs.

I don’t trust the crimp stuff after witnessing a couple dozen of them fail in a brand new laboratory building. it could have been installer error or just a bad batch of fittings but in either case it cost the plumbing contractor a pretty penny to cover the remediation.

My thoughts exactly.

^ Just curious, what would you do to tap in a new 3/4" line on a boiler? It seems like solder/compression are the only options.

True. New lines are cake. Any moisture in the line and you’re going to fight it the whole way. Bread can only do so much.

The more I re-research plumbing PEX looks to be the way to go.

Had a brief fix in our basement and used Gator/shark bites… those things are MIRACLES!!! Saved me a lot of time… especially for a quick fix. I did however like the “crimp-thing,” but me personally would much rather sweat the pipes in… especially behind drywall.

Any pros/cons using the crimp method?