NYSpeed Plumbers Step In, broken shower handle inside (PICS)

The shower handle to turn hot to cold has a ton of slack in it, and eventually just broke so the water temperature cannot be controlled. My dad and I tried to take off the handle, we removed a cover to reveal a philips head screw. We turn and turn but it just doesnt come loose, i believe its stripped. Solutions anyone besides cutting it off? I have the SawZall ready! If you can barely see it, but there seems to be a plastic retainer clip behind the philips screw

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

and before anyone says the shower is gross, it is clean!!! the flash really reveals invisible soap scum

I really want to see pictures without the flash now.

Cut the plastic handle and get that off first (Those are the cheapest to replace). Then go from there on what you need to disassemble next.

I promise i will get new pics

thats what we figured

Looks like a moen, drill the screw. You might risk cutting the chrome or brass body if you go after the plastic.

Regardless, once the handle is out of the way, there is a wire clip ring that you need to pull up. This retains the stem. Once the clip is out, use a set of pliers or vicegeips to pull out the cartridge assembly. Try to note orientation, if you install the new one upside down the controls will be backwards. Easily fixable but best avoided.

And of course, make sure you have the new moen cartridge and the water is off before you start…

you will need a new stem since screw thread is already mess up.

Ed Youngs hardware (Main st. @ Mill rd., Williamsville) might have the body and handle you need on a Sunday. They came through for me the same way when mine shit the bed. Just brought the old part to the counter in the back and they got me a new one.

X…

This.

Also, if you don’t feel like driving out to Williamsville another option is:

LA Hazard
3689 California Road, Orchard Park - (716) 662-4906

breakstuff FTMFW, this guy knows his shit.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kG1raFELO20/SoGadjPqdTI/AAAAAAAAEic/JNR8U0Bw5mk/s400/political-pictures-sigmund-freud-trust-doctor.jpg

I have that same setup in my shower

my God, find a woman that will clean that shit!