NEWBIE question about battery

went to hook the battary back up…
did the negetive terminal first
then when i went to hook up the posetive it sparked a bit…
since iv never fucked around with the battary (unhooking it…)
did i do something wrong… or is that normal?

Like i said newbie question…

Start the car up and you’ll find out if you did something wrong real quick.

Should be alright though. If it starts, check all your accessories, etc.

Sparkings normal but your sequence of which you put your terminals on is very dangerious. If you were to touch a ground with the wrench while tightening up that + bolt the battery could verry well blow up in your face.

Remember when diconnecting a battery negative 1st and positive 2nd, when re-connecting positive 1st and negative 2nd.

I’m all about doing the battery up the wrong order, as is NiteRider, its fuck when he almost arc welds his ratchet to the fender :shock: :lol:

Eyup one of the tire busters at work did that and BOOM went the battery nearly missing his eyes with battery acid.

What a great night to bring this up.

While working on my car tonight I hooked the battery up and almost fried my hand off. And this was with hooking positive up first. I’m like WTF, this is wierd. Go to turn engine on and when I turned to ACC position, no dash. I’m like “OMG, I’m an Idiot.” After all my experience I crossed up the wires cause I droped my battery in backwards. LUCKY for me I only burnt my accessory bus fuse. Just hope I didn’t fry the alternator while I was at it :x

So don’t feel stupid asking questions like these :slight_smile:

Note to self: Never work on the car when your tired!

humm i guess its not such a newbie question…
but its not something i ever really thought about…
thanks for the safety tip

That better not be the alternator you gave me :twisted:

That better not be the alternator you gave me :twisted:[/quote]
:lol: I did this last night man. Relax the alternator I gave you ran perfect on my old engine for the 6000 km I had it.

Better be safe than sorry!

And make sure when putting back the battery to tighten it down securely and that no moving parts can hit it. A couple of weeks ago my friend didn’t tighten down a battery in a shop car, and so as it slid off the tray a couple of centimeters it hit the alernator. The car died down soon after I started it coz most of the acid leaked out. Luckily, nobody was injured and it’s an old t-bird that’s gonna get trashed anyways.

Experimenting helps. I put the positive on the negative once to see what it did. Big spark and a nasty smell. So the next time that I did it by accident, I knew what happened.

Oh, heh… I guess that can be deleted.

http://forums.son240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=2986