ngk iridium vs platinum

what is the difference between the two/ would be better for my jdm gsr with minimal mods? or would i be better off staying with oem plugs and wires?

i’m not a big buff on technical ish, but i run ngk iridium’s in my car…boosted…and was advised NOT to use platinum’s in a boosted car…so i’m assuming as long as you’re not boosted, it’s safe/beneficial to use platinum’s…

but as far as the technical differences between the two and why each is good for a different type of application…you got me there…

if your boosted or on the bottle go basic ngk. if your looking for good plugs for your stock car go iridiums

the difference between the two plugs durring NORMAL use is iridium will show less wear after X amount of miles they will show less than platinum will both of these plugs have basically become oem equiped from the factory since 1996-97 about 98% of the cars and trucks that come from the factory will be equiped with a so called precious metal plug

ngk copper plugs. should cost 10 bucks for all 4. Don’t waste money on fucking stupid plugs that suck.

+1

The precious metal plugs are about one thing… longevity. All the car manufactures got in on the “100k miles without a tuneup” crap. Part of being able to do that was having a plug that would last 100k, and that’s why we all have these fancy plugs now. What they don’t tell you is a simple copper plug will actually work better if you change them every 20k or so. There was a huge thread about this over at ls1gto.com, with lots of people talking about how much better their cars idled after switching to NGK TR55’s. I had my doubts, but going from my 86 Fiero that I worked on constantly to the GTO I was having “wrench turning withdrawl” one weekend and decided to swap them out. Sure enough, they really do work better, and my car only had 5k on it.

never use platinum

troof

platinum has a significantly smaller tip. its material allows this because it’s supposed to create a greater spark. in the end, there’s less surface area, and the plug gets beat, all the while a copper plug gets the same job done, and lasts at the same time

Can’t beat a copper plug, might require changing more often but typically work better. Unless your wallet is on the heavy side.

copper ftw theres no need to spend more money on those other plugs

I love the “No tune up for 100k miles” crap.

Good luck getting the plugs out after 100k miles.

lmao you sound like a ford owner. Ford is notorious for doin dis-simmilar metals

Copper…

skip the advertising bullshit

i used iridium plugs in my z for about a week and threw them in the garbage. they sucked balls. went right to NGK copper, no complaints.

Friends don’t let friends run Iridiums.