Nissan Class Action Lawsuit, LC1/tranny issues

They settled the suit.

All past transmission failures will be covered. All future transmission failures will be covered, unless it fails WHILE the VDC was turned off.

:tup: for them finally manning up and taking care of their customers

:tup: took them long enough…

are the newer ones stronger/better?

They didn’t man up, they got sued. They were forced to take action.

Not only that but you can be damn sure they will be doing everything in their power to claim transmissions failed during VDC off from now on.

^that was my thought… how can they prove either way…

PROOF!

PROOF IT!

+1

They have to provide solid proof though, which is easier said than done.

can’t they just print the logs form the black box or what ever logging software they use to log the tattle tails? Unless the memory was cleared or the software was modified to disable them I would think that would be solid proof.

And if either of the latter happens it is automatically not covered

well at least they did something.
they just need to start making the trannies stronger.
nissan always seemed to build good trannies, wonder what happened wit this one

I wonder if they built the tranny to a reliable spec then near the end of the development someone in the powertrain dept said oh you you didn’t get the email about the launch control we just added? Then the tranny engineers were like but sir this was not designed for that kind of stress. Then the bean counters was like ahh push it through anyway R&D for a new stronger unit will cost more than replacement units because we will add a clause that will void the warranty.

edit: it just makes me wonder because they have to imagine people are going to run the hell out of them once they are out for a while. Talking with the ford power train engineers at the SHO convention really puts things into perspective. Things like “most of our engine testing was not even on the production engine but rather on a current production 3.5 with the direct injection heads… yes that means a twin turbo swap is just a head and fuel management swap on to a standard engine.”

Does Nissan even build transmissions? Probably outsource no?

yeah definetly not an in house piece

MCR’s inspection has lead them to conclude that the transmission’s lifespan—at least if used as heavily as they do—may be no longer than 12 months if the engine’s power is tweaked.

But, PPG offers a gearset for it now which is reported much stronger.

Nissan needs to prove that the transmission damage occured WHILE the VDC was off…I don’t know what they’re logging, but it would have to be pretty detailed in order for them to prove that.

basically it’s a situation where you CAN turn off the VDC, but whatever happens DURING that time, is on the owner. Once the VDC is back in the on position, warranty is back in effect.

The official settlement.

When the Nissan GT-R launched in the United States, buyers soon discovered that using the vehicle’s launch-control feature led to a blown transmission and voided warranty. One owner started a class-action lawsuit and prevailed. Here’s the official settlement.

The GT-R transmission issue was discovered in late 2008. Drivers were turning off the standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC, or Nissan’s version of electronic stability control) to activate a “launch control” feature that allowed for quick off-the-line starts. The feature, which was designed into the car by Nissan, often resulted in a broken gearbox and a warranty that Nissan refused to honor — the company considered turning VDC off to be something you’d do only when trapped in mud or snow. If you tried to deny your Nissan dealer access to your vehicle’s data-recording black box, your warranty would still be voided.

A class action lawsuit resulted; Nissan, while admitting no wrongdoing or design problems (or ever having denied warranty claims), settled it by agreeing to give qualifying owners a transmission programming upgrade and a $75 coupon for service at a factory-authorized dealer. The company also agreed to pay original plaintiff in the case $31,500 to cover the cost of the replacement transmission he purchased, legal fees, and $5,000 for pursuing the action.

Owners will soon start receiving this letter, our copy of which was obtained by DragTimes, and can choose to accept the settlement, appeal it, or exclude themselves from it.

is not equal to

Nissan settled it by agreeing to give qualifying owners a transmission programming upgrade and a $75 coupon for service at a factory-authorized dealer.

:word:

It will be up to each individual owner to sue nissan, at least they have this case as a precedent

yea, a special tune to deactivate or lessen the effectiveness of the launch control.

If it were me I would want launch control option removed, and the VDC only remove the stability control.