GTR issue resolved

Nissan GTR Launch Control Warranty Issue Resolved | PriceWheels Blog

Nissan GTR Launch Control Warranty Issue Resolved

Sep 20th, 2009 by Ross Edwards
It was widely reported that the giant killer Nissan GTR had some issues with regards to the durability of its transmission and Nissan’s willingness to honor warranty claims when the car’s electronics had been put in a specific configuration. That configuration happened to be the only way an owner could achieve the performance numbers like 0-60 and 1/4 mile times Nissan used to advertise the car.

This was a huge blow to the GTR’s credibility. What good is an $80,000 car that can outrun $200k supercars if it will break when used as advertised and the carmaker won’t stand behind it? Not much good, and Internet message boards erupted in hate for the GTR when the news of its fragility spread.

Nissan fixed the problem for its second model year by updating the computer and transmission, but customers who purchased the first run of GTRs thought these problems should never have come up on an $80,000 car and filed a lawsuit. According to Autoblog, as part of the settlement of that lawsuit, Nissan will upgrade all GTRs to the newer specifications for free. Nissan will also reset the warranty on any GTR to five years/60,000 miles when the upgrade is performed.

Now that Nissan has fixed the GTR’s launch control problems and is upgrading cars for free, will the GTR be recognized as a legitimate budget supercar? Or has its reputation been ruined by the problems with the first cars?

By clicking on this thread, I was hoping for news on them giving the GTR the axe.

Oh well.

nissan finally realized the f***ed up. Im sure this will please alot of GTR owners that dont want to go from digs because of this issue.

Now that Nissan has fixed the GTR’s launch control problems and is upgrading cars for free, will the GTR be recognized as a legitimate budget supercar? Or has its reputation been ruined by the problems with the first cars?

reputation’s been ruined

thought this car fit better in roll racing :slight_smile:

Well, if the car can actually be raced now without breaking then it will be a pretty bad ass car. Only time will tell, alot of people already have a bad taste for it though.

or you could be like ford and admit no fault…cough 6.0 DIT

Im a big fan of Imports…but 80K + dealer mark-up for this car will always be a rip off…

The cars you can buy for 80k that would out perform it is a long one…

Used viper, corvette+parts…etc

thinking rep has been ruined. would hope people get past it though. hopefully see these cars being exercised for their intended purpose

Sorry GTR is still a POS Ill buy a ZR1 that I dont have to worry about breaking if I beat on it.

:gives: The GTR is gay.

props to nissan for admitting they fucked up and fixing the problem.

It sucks that it had to be like that but at least they did the right thing in the end.

Good to see they admit to building a shitty car.

Are they putting a stick in it yet or what?

Glad to see they resolved this issue. :rofl: to everyone saying it’s a shitty car.

lol if its not an lsx in here pretty much everything is shit . I still would rather have a used z06 and put the extra money into it though so i cant disagree with that aspect.

pfft who wants an lsx

I hear ya and I’m a big fan of the z06 and zr1 (I’m a former LS1 owner). It’s just funny hearing comments that it’s a shitty car. It was a horrible move to test out the gtr with the trac. feature and then not honor the warranty if it was launched this way. Nissan really had no choice but to do what they did. However, the GTR is hardly the only car that has any issues (most of which are common during the first production year of any vehicle). I’ve read that just recently GM has fixed the oil starvation issues on the Z06 caused by hard cornering for extended periods of time, and the z06 has been out a year longer than the GTR. The z06 vs. GTR comparison will go on forever. As for the ZR1, comparing a $77k GTR to a $110k ZR1 isn’t really accurate, wait for the V-specs for a better matchup.

true story

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS6Blh089rA&feature=related”]YouTube - Hip to be square (American psycho)[/ame]