Nissan Leaf ($25k, 100m Range, 100% Electric) VS. Chevy Volt?

I can assure you there is no mechanical connection between the gas engine and the wheels.

So Universal changed a movie trailer because that homo on CNN was offended?:picard:

Good Review

Kind of disappointing:

While our drive wasn’t long enough to gather any empirical data beyond the 36 mpg displayed on the Volt’s trip computer when we finished, we can do some math. GM gave us official numbers that we can use to make two reasonable estimates. The Volt has a 9.3-gallon gas tank, and GM states that the range in extended-range mode is approximately 310 miles. That means the Volt should return around 33 miles per gallon, after its EV range of roughly 40 miles is exhausted. And if you get in your fully-charged Volt and drive it until the tank runs dry, you’ll see about 38 miles per gallon overall. Given that GM had been bandying about a 50 mpg number – not-coincidentally matching the Prius – this is nothing short of disappointing.

The new Cruze eco will get 40 mpg hwy on a gasoline only engine. Granted with the Volt if you recharge often this is completely negated, but I still would have liked to see higher numbers.

On the other hand, there’s the Leaf:

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2010/10/leaf-range-1.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2010/10/leaf-range-2.jpg

Range varying from 138 miles, down to 62 under less-than-ideal circumstances (and down to 47 miles in hot parking-lot-freeway driving - not in the pics).

If the Volt is expected to honestly get 40-50 MPG overall, thats terrible. The Prius can do 40s in real life, and costs nearly half as much.

The Leaf gets marginally better range than I would expect. 60 miles for winter stop and go isnt bad at all. If you were cutting it close, kill the heater and baby the throttle. It sure looks like the Heat/AC kills the range as expected. Not a big deal, given that I dont usually use Heat unless its really cold, and almost never use AC unless its a long drive.

msrp for a top spec 2010 prius is $34 240 usd, top spec 2011 volt is $41 000 -$ 7500 in federal tax credit. they are actually close on the price point.

I do like the idea of running a leaf 60-100 miles on pure electric, for most people that would be enough, especially where the climate isnt harsh. However, one has to look at the bigger picture. Most people have to travel longer distances every once in a while (christmas, thanksgiving, whatever) in situations like these the leaf owner has to have a either a rental car, long ass extension cord, or own a second vehicle. by owning a second vehicle the owner has to purchase it, insure it , maintain it, and then suck up depreciation when they try and sell it. for instance, what would happen if you drove your leaf to work, then home, a distance of 60 miles then buddy calls you to go watch the game, youre limited to not doing anything or going anywhere until the leaf has charged.

The volt, allows for emission free commuting for the majority of the time, but then is able to drive cross country if needed. best of both worlds , imo

just how i see it really, but i would by no means even think of buying either car, im not trying to sell volts, just clearing stuff up

The second car argument is null and void as the average family has at least 2 cars. Hell, we have 3 cars and it’s just 2 of us.

For a single person with only 1 car, I agree it wouldn’t work.

The other point is GM took how many years to complete a vehicle that is still getting sub-par results for MPG to a Prius?
How is that for being an unbiased GM slappy?

Hell Mazda just announced the new Mazda2 is going to get 70 MPG on a gas only engine.

Four years, but it’s only sub-par if you use it for long trips only. From what I’ve heard, the Volt will still have a longer electric-only range than the upcoming plug-in Prius.

Exactly. I’m not sure how fair it is to compare 300 mile drive MPG when talking about the Volt. The whole point of the Volt from the moment they started designing it was to give the average commuter 100% electric range for their daily drive while retaining the ability to go unlimited miles using gas station refilling if the driver wanted to. Regardless of how 100 mile range in a pure electric car would meet the needs of most 2 car families the fact remains that most consumer won’t buy a car that they feel is going to be limited in range. People are accustomed to driving anytime and anywhere they want and only caring that when the tank gets near empty they start looking for a gas station. Changing that ingrained ideal is part of what the Volt is about, because it gets people to buy an electric car and realize that for the most part electric only range would be fine.

The upcoming plug in prius has a HORRIBLE range on electric

I wonder what the polar bear is going to think

But EPA testing has put the range at only 73 miles. Perry said Nissan stands by its 80-100 mile battery range claims, and said he did not believe the EPA calculation will chill consumer enthusiasm for the car.

EPA uses a formula where 33.7 kWhs are equivalent to one gallon of gasoline energy. Also, the EPA determined the Leaf’s efficiency is 3.4 miles per kWh. Since the Leaf has a 24 kWh battery pack, it can go officially 73 miles.

“EPA uses a formula where 33.7 kWhs are equivalent to one gallon of gasoline energy”

In what way is it equivalent? Number of spotted owls killed?

energy output is energy output and can be converted many ways. for instance

http://www.americanmachinist.com/Calculators/HorseToKilo.aspx

“Also, the EPA determined the Leaf’s efficiency is 3.4 miles per kWh.”

How did they “figure” that? I guess its no secret that I question any govt “figures”.

Well, they figured out what the real number was then decreased it enough to make the Government Motors Volt look even better. :slight_smile:

No, bailing out GM could never cause this type of thing!

I guess that is why there are a ton of Volts ready to be deliveried to dealer’s lots, but they are waiting on the EPA sticker.

Right…
I like that it can recharge itself, but still wouldn’t buy it.
They want everyone to get on board with all this “green” technology, but in reality, not everyone can afford a $30-$40k car.

More EPA label craziness for the volt:

While the true 60 mpg-e figure ranks the Volt best among compact cars, it’s not far removed from the 50 mpg of the Prius hybrid. Even assuming a Volt driver goes without gas for a year, by the EPA’s own figures the Volt saves $263 over the Prius annually, a small gap given the Volt costs roughly $10,000 more.