No clutchy clutch, Gee I wonder why?????

After dicking around for a few hours trying to PRY the transmission off the engine(Locked right up) I shed some light onto Jays locked clutch pedal issue. Clutch disk failure sucks ass. Jay got REALLY lucky on this one and had it happened at 100 or whatever more RPM he’d be looking at a new tranny and possibly leg surgery. Would have been really ugly if the PP had let go rom the FW and didn’t contain the disk. :runaway Just sucks that this happened mere in the very first hours or so of their last event and boned him for the rest of the weekend.

Clutch disk exploded. Brand new OEM quality BMW disk and PP on a UUC FW at that too. This is not some cheap knock off. Entire unit is a write off though. One of the pictures I took just to show you how close to total catastophe it really was…the six fasteners that hold the PP to the flywheel did not break on the strees impact but rather streched the material of the aluminum FW to the point that none of the fasteners go in straight. Yea, that fastener is NOT cross threaded and is still straight itself…that is the new stetched direction of the threads in the actual flywheel. It look like there as stainless helicoil/timersert style inserts in those holes. I’m very surprised the fasteners did not break to be honest, and I had to remove each one a little at a time using vice grips as the warped PP flange locked the fasteners so tight the internal hex stripped when I tried that. I wasn’t sure what the hell this assembly was going to do once I started removing it and once I got things moving around it was just a shower of debris. Two of the three dowel pins that align the PP to the flywheel did actualy shear off, again showing just how close it relly was to letting go completely.

Shit happens.

Enjoy the pics

http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch1.JPG
http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch2.JPG
http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch5.JPG
http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch3.JPG
http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch6.JPG
http://www.rspeed.org/forums/gallery/data/596/JMclutch4.JPG

wow…lol

THERE IT IS AGAIN.

Dude this has happened before, and will happen again.

I’m dead set on UUC being junk now. Seriously.

I’ll stick to buying clutch arm bushings and and clutch stops from them ONLY.

This is an issue that’s not uncommon as you might think (with UUC’s clutch kits)

Sachs HD/JBRacing LTW fly ftw.

This pisses me off, if UUC doesn’t full cover a new flywheel/clutch post this on bimmerforums in the Vendor’s section, I got a little involved with the Aftermarket BMW Parts wars a year or two ago, and heard ALOT of terrible things about UUC.

LOL! $1000+ clutch/fly assembly, buh bye.

That was another turn at speed and we’d be replacing the bellhousing, trans tunnel, Jay’s legs/feet, etc. Good day to play the lotto!

Benny - Rob and Arjun especially have always taken great care of me with race parts issues. I have no doubt they’ll make this right.

I’m not going to be the one to tart shit with Rob @ UUC. Don’t know him persoanlly and don’t need bad blood between our two businesses. I’ll leave the dirty talk(if any) to Jay to lay out if necessary.

Again shit happens, but if there are better options out there( and there are) I’d personally go with something a little more gutso. OS Giken FTW

thats why ill stick to STEEL FLYWHEELS. :runaway

:rofl

Thats alotta hooch.

Yeah I guess I spoke a little soon, the issue I’ve heard of was an early flywheel issue, this is a pressure plate issue so I’m way off base.

Yea I’m sitting here starting at this piece trying to find the fracture point and it’s just scary how knife-edge close this one really was. Makes me glad I decided to tow it up to the garage and not tryt o start it.

I still have to figure out if this clutch fork is fugged as well. I might just try to se ehow much a new one is and not risk this once being bent a few degrees, or more. I have nothing here to gauge it on.

Fork aint bad. Do that stupid spring too since who knows how stretched it got.

Had nothing to do with the alum fly.

tell ya what:

you can pull my tranny and replace the clutch, pivot pin, tob, csb, guibo, and diff mounts, and ill le tyou visually inspect my clutch fork. pretty sure it’s not bent.

I mean, it’s a hassle to me, but in the name of saving Jay a few bucks I’m willing to let this happen.

Little fork retention spring thing is actually damaged, missing one of it’s two “arms”. Still holds the fork in place but I’m not putting this one back in regardless. Some very small particle damage inside the bellhousing and I imagine a piece of the disk hit the little spring arm and snapped it off.

Tranny did come out way easier this time around right up to the point of actually pulling it off the motor…~1hr 15minutes. No friken 45 minute bimmer forum record here but much closer. Next time, next time I get it :lol

Officially recognized world record is 34 mins. My personal best is 52.

If you’ve seperated the trans fairly recently it should go on/off no problem, but 34 mins is insane I don’t think I could have the entire exhaust off in 34 mins :rofl

I just spoke with Rob @ UUC and forwarded him the pictures of the destructed assembly. I’ll have word to warranty momentarily…

so what would of happen, i mean legs and feet getting injured? im confused, i mean I dont even understand how that happened? how would it hurt hhis legs?

The clutch/FW assembly is rotating as fast as the motor is, so imagine if a piece let go, and the guts not being held together. If I recall, it’s similar to a bomb filled with shrapnel.

It’s a bit of an exaggeration (leg injury) but bad stuff can happen. I was at a club race where the straps on a guy’s clutch let go and the pressure plate became a giant spinning ninja star. It blew holes in the bellhousing and flung debris out at 8000rpm, punching dents and holes in the trans tunnel by the driver’s legs.

Ah ok, so has nothing to dow ith the pedal going nuts and what ever, its the fear or chance that the tranny housing can explode into the cockpit

Yup, it’s the reason why NHRA mandates scatter shields on all cars into the 10 second barrier. IMO circuit track cars should have them as well and just deduct weight elsewhere in the car because of the add on(typical scatter shield can weight 20+lbs…1/4" thick steel)