noise under valve cover

Well like it says in the title theres a noise under my sr20’s valve cover, i think i may have a loose valve. There is this clicking kinda noise and when i open up the throttle the clicking gets faster. I’ve gotten some opinions and thats what those opinions have gotten me, possibly a loose valve. I was wondering would it be hard to tighten up a loose valve or is it a very complicated process that i would really need to look into before doing? Any input would be great thanks in advance.

check if machanical fan is tight…mine wasnt and it was ticking when i rev.ed

mechanical fan? your not talking about the cooling fan are you?

the one connected to your engine …unless u dont have one?

no i have an electrical fan

injectors? normal to hear that clicking for an SR (if it is the injectors you’re hearing)

would the clicking noise from the injectors get faster as the rpm gets faster?

yes, but it drowns out the higher the rpms, put your ear to the injectors at idle(or a screwdriver to your ear), then open the butterly valve on the throttle and increase rpms, most likely thats your clicking noise.

lol but not having enough oil makes that noise as well :smiley:

piston slap does it too :anal

only when the engine is cold, piston slap goes away as the parts heat up and expand, and unless he has some kind of afteramrket internals in his car I would think he wouldnt have to worry about that…

or a broken off piece of the piston hehe

been there done that…

timing chain guide rattling on the top of the chain as it might be broken

is it a knock or a tick…did you just buy this motor or car with sr20 and think its a bad noise?..sr20’s are noisy…and you say its a clicking sound so it could be injectorsand likes someone else said the timing chain…if you had rod knock or something like that…you wouldnt wanna drive your car becuase the knock will be looooud…unless its already happning lol well hope this helps

well it isn’t a knock like you guys are saying a rod knock. But the sound coming from the motor is progressively getting louder and louder and is starting to scare me. I’m afraid it will start to become a knock and there really aren’t any guys very familiar with the sr in winnipeg so i might be in some trouble.

either top up or change your oil, I know my KA lifters tick like mad after a drift sess because the oil pump picks up allmost no oil. Unless you’ve already done that.

the oil level is fine, just changed it 2 weeks ago.