Noob Looking into 89 240sx :)

Hey guys just joined and I’m gonna ask the old age question “is this a good buy” lol

I have no idea about 240’s. I’v got and 06 Spec-V and this will be my DD. I’m going to check it out this friday so I’m hoping the undercarriage is not rusted out.

What do you think a 20 year old car has done lol

Here’s the add:

it makes me sad to even have to post this ad but i have no choice. i just recently put it back on the road after a long winter of waiting and my insurance company wants to charge me 600+ dollars a month to insure it. the insurance rate is not due to the car itself but because i am not 21 and live in brampton. it didnt take much time to realize i had to sell it.

this is an 89 240 coupe. its the lx model meaning it has power windows, locks, mirrors, and sunroof. i bought the car just over a year ago and have upgraded multiple things. heres the list:

ENGINE

redtop sr with about 110k
koyo rad
large front mount with greddy piping
turbosmart bov
battery relocated to the trunk
slim fans
oil catch can
cone air filter
megan 3 inch down pipe
2.5 inch cat back
tranny was replaced with a newer used sr tranny
new exedy stage one clutch. less than 2000k. installed by ryiad
stainless steel power steering high pressure line
walbro 255 fuel pump in a mint 180sx sending unit
new thermostat
brand new ngk bkr7 plugs
always run mobile one full synthetic with nissan filters since i bought it

SUSPENSION

front and rear strut and sway bars
front traction rods
megan inner and outer tie rod ends
megan springs on i believe koni blue shocks. came on car when i bought it.
megan rear upper control arms
megan rear toe arms

TIRES

stock 15 inch. 7 spokes painted bronze
rear tires have about 70% left. yokohama avid trz
front tires are being replaced with newer used all season tires

INTERIOR

s14 cloth front seats
short shifter with weighted shift knob
boost gauge
A pillar 2 gauge pod with volts and a/f. not connected.
jdm cluster
sony deck with alpine speakers

EXTERIOR

180sx replica side skirts. mocked now but can be properly installed and painted for the sale.
94 maxima spoiler
chuki bumper
brake pads are brand new all around.
calipers painted red.
stock window tint.

i just recently did a 4 wheel alignment after installing the suspension arms. the car is running stock boost and was a daily driver. the rpm tach doesnt seem to be working but im looking into it. i think just a loose connection.

i have spare parts laying around also.

300zx front calipers
4 tear drop rims with no tires
pignose front lip
pignose bumper
and a few other things i cant remember right now

car is sold as is
4000 obo

The owner is a training to be a mazda tech or is and has change mutiple gaskets. Has said the turbo has minimal play and when he had the head of or cover it looked pretty good on the inside.

Are there any secrets that I should know about 240’s?

Is 89 a good year or should I look for newer?

Is 89 a good tuning platform or are newer models easier/better/more parts?

Anyways thanks for the help, seems like a very open and advance site with a lot of good info and less mumbo jumbo.

And let me know if I shouldn;t even be posting here :S

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=224828122&back=-1&ImageIndex=1

Check frame rails - they are rusted almost always lol. Maybe thats why its so cheap.
Check floors

89 has the exact same parts from 89-94. only difference is it came with a SOHC engine, and a different front end.

car already has an sr so you wont need to do an engine swap. Looks alright

well for 4000 from the pics it looks like a decent deal…make sure the engine isnt blown and yea their is lots of room to make the car better and faster. take somebody with u who knows…check frame rails, do a comp test a few things to make sure your not getting hoooped

Well he’s the third owner and he has kept it in the garage last winter (so mabey it’s nice enough to wanna keep in your grandma’s garage)

When he got it I think it was over heating or somthing and the thermostat was gutted so coolant kept running (that why it was repalced) I’v heard that being done on QR’s (Spec-V’s) but was told not to.

What do you think of a 3’ downpipe into a 2.5’ exhaust?? Thinking I may wanna upgrade but is it worth it on the stock turbo? (getting ahead of myself)

Nice thing is my Spec shares teh same bolt pattern LOL :smiley:

Anyone else?? Open to opionions. I just don’t know the condition of these and thier back grounds. I know my Spec had a ton of recalls and some time the QR would eat the stock cat. Just wondering if there’s anything like that I should watch for.

I know the guy that’s selling this car. I work at nissan and he works at mazda right across from me at the brampton auto mall. It’s a good buy. Not the prettiest car out there but its a good car. structurally pretty good, which is hard to find with any Canadian driven s chassis.

thanks Nismo

So I have bought the car. Little disapointed in ways mostly because I’m nto driving it lol. Wiring is terrible but the previous own has tryied hes best to fix it. Tach doesn’t work I think its still the KA tack, A/F and Volts gauge do not work but they are very nice gauges lol. And this coolant leak is bugging me. Car is super quick and the back end loves to come out. I remeber driving home I thought the tach was broken because it would just barry it’s self so fast lol. Little TLC and she should be lovely. Would like to get some OG members to have a look at it. Fill me in in what I need to do. An SR swap electrician would be a big help.

Anyways looking forward to the meets either in my 240 or Spec-V since the Sentra community isn’t to huge and my cars like no other ;D And I’m always looking for a helping hand as I’m not super handy but I’v got cooled beer and I party so help a brother out homies!!