NTFS to FAT32?

How do I do it…

I picked up an 80GB External Hard drive so I can backup my shit on my PS3 then restore it onto the new 250GB hard drive i got for it.
(PS3 only reads FAT32)

So how do I convert my 80GB seagate Freeagent external hard drive to FAT32 Format?

plug it into your computer… get a program like Partition magic to format the drive and set a partition for the entire drive to be FAT 32… I cant remember the program that comes with fedora its free but it will partition the entire drive to be fat 32 format.

U should be able to do it from Windows. Right-click > format … File System: select fat32 > OK

Yep.

from what i heard, Windows can only make it FAT32 up to 30gb…

that was the first way i tried to format and it didnt work

If it’s already NTFS, you can’t convert it to FAT32 w/Windows. You CAN re-partition it to FAT32 (losing all of your data).

figured it out.
I had to format the drive, delete partition, then use a small exe file called “fat32format” to format the drive to FAT32 in the DOS prompt.

it worked, PS3 sees it now and it backing up onto the external.

yup, cant do it in windows if its already ntfs format. You will need to find something like partition magic… live cd was what I was thinking of that will go through and delete the current partition so you can create a new one that is fat32.

well now i have a 250GB PS3 :slight_smile:

thanks for all the help

PS3’s are using Fat32 as a filesystem? Wow. That’s disappointing.

for now, it may change in the future. dunno

NTFS is a Microsoft trade secret and you have to license it through their Intellectual Property Licensing program to redistribute it on third-party hardware. Since PS3 is competing directly with their hardware platform, and NTFS accesses files faster than FAT32, it’s in their best interests not to license it out.

If I had a PS3, I’d put Ubuntu on it, just for shits and giggles. That’s just my :blanyer: .

But in any case, I’m off topic. 250GB PS3 ftw.

I’ve got more DVDs on my PS3 then anything :slight_smile:

huh? what the fuck?

anyway… file systems are file systems… i’m confused why permissions and encryption would be a benefit to a ‘dumb’ gaming console, but whatever…

why is the assumption that either of these systems runs FAT32 or NTFS? i can’t imagine why anyone woudl think that? anyway… the reason it’s formatted in FAT is because it’s a chunk of disk used to save data… its’ cross platform and simplistic… it’s a non journaling system used due to it’s ease of sharing the same disk across platforms.

whatever… what does ubuntu have to do with anything? kernals are all packaged to read ntfs so it’s a moot point… writing ability from the kernal for ntfs is still not going to happen… so wtf does it matter? you’d think you people are doing stress testing and iop counts for your game console disk drives :rofl:

lol someone who understands technology like you do wouldn’t make a statement like that. Gaming consoles do what they do VERY well…hell to this day no computer has been able to emulate ps2 games at more than 25-30fps(ps2 runs its games at roughly 60fps), now tell me why a 3+ghz cpu and a damn good ati or nvidia can’t emulate a game that a 300mhz ps2 does with ease

There are a few linux distros that are able to read/write ntfs from the jump, like knoppix for instance.

emulating is different than having the game written specifically for the hardware, someone with even the little bit of technology knowledge you have should understand that.

-2 points for captain obvious, go research the ps2 emulator before you speak and find out exactly what the problems are, i’ve been in on the project since day one along with various other emulators for other consoles. I love how everyone on here has so much douchey-ness for the new year

what exactly are the problems with emulators then? I could really care less about them. I think I have about 3 games from the nes on my phone, but that’s about it.

From what i have seen with the people I work with who like emulators is that the emulator software is shitty and buggy as hell, no matter what console you aer trying to emulate.

1. umm because not only is it running whatever botched emulation software, its running windows. duh… wtf kind of question is that? how can you solely compare hardware when one is running a purpose built OS and one is running in memory ( as in, on an OS in a software emulator in a process in memory)? dumb point to make.

2. knoppix has a repackaged kernel with ntfs ‘tools’ built it in… it will never perform at the capacity of a ‘real’ file system because it never truly (directly) ‘talks’ to the kernel, it uses bridged namespacing to provide read/write functionality.

a gaming console is a purpose built machine to perform a specific function… why do you need file level auditing and metadata for a machine designed and built to perform a single function? it’s stupid and pointless to even talk about it, hence my question on why filesystems of game consoles ever came up? i guess it’s the misunderstanding of why he wanted to format FAT?

what in the hell does frames per second have to do with filesystems?

look to the last sentence under my reply to sonny’s post. What are you using on your phone? pocket nes? A lot of the emulators are buggy on a fresh install, most require tweaking. I’ve gotten snes emulators to run perfectly fine on my psp and haven’t had a single need to tweak since then, i have project64 on my desktop for the few n64 games i like to play, zelda was VERY buggy at first and required a rewritten graphics plug-in…only about an hours worth of work after reading up on the various ones that were around. Of course snes is a very old gaming platform thats much more simplistic, the GBA emulator on the PSP is interesting.

When it comes to Winblows NTFS is around for what? “security” a few other things and less file fragmentation, file fragmentation isn’t a concern in the gaming community because the OS’s aren’t run from the HD’s(thank God), i can’t argue with the bottom half of your post because it’s true(once we finally agree on something) BUT the guys writing the homebrew software emulators aren’t just some script kiddie like you’d expect, a lot of them have extensive experience.(On a side note…referring to something you said earlier…i think this thread branched off way too fast with tech geekiness and 98% of pittspeed will now be confused upon reading this) It’s more or less not being able to figure out exactly what the Japs did with the ps2 and all of it’s hardware to make it coincide with what the computer needs to do.