Nuts vibrating loose on U bolts need suggestions?

Ok so my GFs temporary car had the exhaust snap the otherday. Her day patched it up with a pipe and some pipe clamps. It was all nice and quiet for like a day.

Seems the nuts on the pipe clamps keep vibrating loose allowing exhaust leaks. I tightened them down good last night and they already loosened.

SO would thread locker work in this application cause that pipe is right off the header so it gets hot?

any other suggestions short of tack welding the nuts to the u bolt that are dirt cheap and i can just climb under and do quick?

Lock nuts, lock washers, higher torque, high temp lock tite, etc…

they make a high temp thread lock

high temp lock tite it is.

the odd thing is they have lock washers on them.

Its a fucking honda. annoying tinny junk

The clamps should have a locking nut, maybe just pick up some replacement nutz at the hardware store.

Get some of these jobbers:
http://www.aeroassemblies.com/images/fasteners/SerratedFlangeNut.JPG

if that doesnt work u could try a nylon lock nut, im not really sure how that would hold up to the heat either.

Thats exactly whats on them

The nylon would melt. Guaranteed

Throw another nut on, so the one actually holding the clap cant back off. If that still doesnt work, put locktite on also.

Yeah what he said, but go a step further if there are enough threads exposed to do this:

crank the nut on the clamp down. Then put a normal lock washer on and another nut over that. crank that thing down and bottom out the 2nd nut over the lockwasher & first nut. Then take another wrench and turn the first one backwards a 1/4 turn or so while holding the 2nd nut in place, that way they lock into eachother.

Yeah Ron, just thread on like 3-4 nuts. Should be good

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mysack.jpg

you could get a nut sack pouch

I’d leave the bolts / nuts off altogether. Save weight! :rofl

^ yeah ok Shady hahaha

double nut it

Double nut. & lock tite
DONE

Interference-fit exhaust hardware (as most OEM is), works fine. It may need to be replaced, however, as the interference fit wears out after repeated removal/installation.

Wow, just realized what I typed. :lol

While I would agree with this, my plan doesnt mean you should be undoing things which may cause annoying noises etc…

Ron best bet to follow my plan would be to remove the exhaust all together, including the header. This will also throw other curious men off as they will think her car is indeed faster/louder than theirs.

Tighten nuts. Clean with wire brush. Tack weld nut to clamp. Grind off when needed. These things are $3 at NAPA. If you don’t have a welder, I imagine if you did you would have just welded the exhaust in the first place, then try above combination of lock tite, lock washers, lock nuts, ect…