Any ideas on preventative measures to prepping exhaust bolts for later removal?

After tackling and snapping the EGR pipe on the 240 (which I just welded off anyway, F.U. EGR) and wrenching on the manifold bolts etc, I want to make sure im not going to get white knuckels next time I work on the car.

Will dipping the bolts in motor oil do anything? Any other ideas on how to keep these things from freezing up from the heat cycles? I hate snapping bolts, especially when I leave two of them in the heads

:banghead:

what about never cease. IDK how well it handles exhaust temps, works fine with brake parts

copper anti-seize works somewhat. Most things will burn off

get nickel never seize. shit works wonders in hot situations
http://www.tfiinc.com/fastorq/lubricants.htm

Is the car going to see salt? If it’s not I wouldn’t worry too much. Otherwise try using some form of high temp anti seize.

Move south.

Honestly, anti-seize if you’re feeling hopeful, but with the tons of salt they dump around here the shit is going to rust up again no matter what.

anti-seize has always worked for me, even on exhaust hardware

Thin layer of astroglide

Copper nuts + MAPP torch

you mean BRASS nuts.

kickel-cadd bolts … i dont know the real name but the one thats on most hondas

I use copper.

McMaster-Carr, the source for nearly EVERYTHING, does not sell copper nuts. I’m sure they exist, but i really think you mean brass…

Interested in the brass nuts, I’ll look in to them (I would think copper is still susceptible to corrosion/deposits, brass just tarnishes) Probably use the zinc anti-seize on the manifold bolts after I tap the two out that broke. Read up on nickel coatings and it seems to provide better protection than anything galvanized

Spanks!

Edit: Other way around on the nickel vs Zinc

You people take everything so literally, they a steel nuts coated with copper. Most German cars use them on exhaust manifolds etc.

That would be a copper plated or copper-clad nut.

It’s not a matter of us taking it too literally, it’s just more about you being wrong.

LOL.

I’m not sure how I am “wrong” here? I pointed out a possible solution. Most places and mechanics do colloquially refer to them as “copper” because of the color.

i was just messing w/ you. :slight_smile:

calling them copper nuts is like calling a rebadged g35 a skyline or something…

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is broken - been hanging out on Honda boards too much.