New exhaust is in, can i keep it protected like this?

Well, my civics exhaust fell off so i ordered a OEM catback. The old was the 2nd exhaust in the civics life, dont want to replace it again…if the car lasts that long.

I was thinking of spray painting from cat all the way back to the tip with some high heat spray paint(Pepboys). Probably 2 coats of silver or black.
This should keep it protected from salt and crap so it wont rust right? From the outside atleast. Nothing I can do about the inside and im not about to spend the cash to ship it to jethot for some coatings

think its worth it?

get a spray can of rust preventive…i use it on the frame and stuff of my truck and for 2 years now no rust.

frame is different than exhaust, but ive used vht black paint with good sucess, as long as you apply it BEFORE it sees any Road time.

might not prevent it from happening ever, but it might slow down the process

Yes, it will help. No, it won’t prevent it from rotting but for a project that costs a few bucks in high temp spray paint and about 10 minutes time it’s worth it. I did it on the exhaust I put on my old Fiero at the recommendation of a bunch of Fiero guys who bought the same exhaust.

cool, ill be picking some up

NOW for colors.
should i just do black and keep it simple looking
or get stupid with it.
green/red/black/etc etc
haha

Silver.

do you really expect to have this car long enough that the exhaust is going to rot and fall off again? i doubt it

Silver, so when the paint starts to come off in places it doesn’t stand out.

I’ve used cold galvanizing compound on exhausts with moderate success. It comes in a spray can and is flat gray in color. You can get it at welding supply places and I’ve seen it at Tractor Supply as well. Better than paint, but still not perfect.

well im not sure. ive got 167 on her and last time it fell off was around 90-100k…if i can go another 60-70k on the civic thatd be good. if it dies and the exhaust is still in decent shape i might be able to sell it to someone looking for a clean oem catback. with my luck ill spray it, put it on and the car will die the next day hah

I sprayed like the whole frame, exhaust rear axle… barely any rust after two years

cold galvanising spray does work well i have used it on exhausts before, also i would highly recommend rust oleum bbq and stove black its cheap and lasts long on exhaust. my old work. htg racing uses rust oleum bbq paint on all of their racing snomobile exhausts people would send them back for dent reapairs and they paint would still be there. i know it holds up good