Broken Bolt in the Exhaust Manifold

So i broke a bolt in the exhaust manifold… ( i found my idle issue lol ) now theres a huge gap there and i can’t drive my car…

but anyways…

when it broke the bolt is stuck in the thread… i tried drilling the motherfucker out but having no luck and am getting very pissed off. can anyone suggest a way to get the stupid asshole broken bolt out so i can get another one in there.

in tthe head or down pipe?

Broken bolt/stud remover.

Princess Auto - 15$

well a good way I and others here use is weld on a nut and try taking it out when its just turning back to normal color. (not ro red hot anymore)

Only works though if a welder is handy.

it is broken on the down pipe… the bottom part… im going to try and tinker with it right now actually… but any suggestions are helpful… no welder handy lol

Unless your going to get a quality one from Snap on or Matco, I would not even attempt it. On exhaust, I do not believe that would work…just giving the stubborn nature of a metal that has been heated, cooled down, heated, cooled down…etc. If your good with a torch, you should be able to blow it out and re tap it. If not, start a with a small drill bit and work your way up. Perferably Colbalt bits if you can,…and pay attention to your drilling speed. If you drill too fast, you will just dull the bit and go nowhere. Adjust your speed to the point where you see a healthy amount of metal shavings falling away from your workpeice. Keep the drill bit well lubed and cooled, use cutting fluid of wd 40,…hell Ive even used DEX 3 and it worked lol.

Either way, there are your options.  Good luck and have fun.

is there anyway you can get a pair of vice grips on it? if you can heat it up with a torch till its red hot and the put the vice grips on and wiggle it back and forth. dont try and loosen it all the way or it will snap again. and did you take it off the car or is it still on?

it’s off of the car, the only way i can get at the bolt is from the bottom. so getting a pair or vise grips or any pliers in there is way to tight.i have a feelinng that this bolts been broken a while cause it literally wont budge at all… im going to try one more time tomorrow but if it doesnt work ill get a shop to do it. i dont want to start doing more harm then good.

Not to thread jack, but I have one broken off in the head now.
I can’t see any thread, it broke flush/just inside.
For those who have done this successfully, any tool detail tips?

what you need is a an ez-out. looks like this
http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html

you drill the bolt and hammer one of these in and then wind it out with a wrench. they are reverse threads so they bite when you are removing

this stupid bolt won’t drill through, thats the main problem. if i could drill it through i could rip it out no problem. im not sure why it won’t… but it won’t lol.

i dont raelly want to try and do some half ass job on it either… i want it done well the first time. i might try to take it right off and take it to work and drill it out in a mill.

What kind of drill bit are you using? how fast are you drilling it?

i took a solid carbide drill from work im using ( im a tool and die maker ) carbide can cut the fuck outta anything lol. it bolt must have got MAD hard from the heat

Well if your ool and die, then you should know all about cutting speeds and such. My only suggestion,…start a very small piolt hole and progressivey work your way up from there.

Weld a nut to it, use an impact gun to take it out. Works so well for getting a bolt out of a head… doesn’t work as well for the OP’s issue though.

To the OP: are you talking about one of the studs that stays in the turbo elbow/O2 housing? Is it stock? If so just get another one without a broken bolt for like $5 from someone here, lots of people have them sitting around… or use it as a good excuse to upgrade, aftermarket ones make a noticeable difference and aren’t very expensive.