I think someone forgot some *Loctite*

Looking over this CRX that I just bought, I found a near fatal flaw in it’s construction.

Looks like someone forgot the bolts going to the back housing haha.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/alexsobo/th_video-2009-06-29-12-32-32.jpg

No harm done(At least I hope so!), but just another reason to look over your car when works done to it. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional.

Any idea where I can get the 4 bolts?

Suburban Auto Electric’s old shop probably has some extra bolts lying around :lol:

Don’t get it?

I think the bolts may be at wherever it was built haha :nerd:

it was probably JB Welded on

this is b/c when they work on cars they have a bag of bolts left over

northstate supply on military has TONS of hardware.

What kind of turbo is that? If it’s a garret I think they use SAE hdwr.

Its a garrett gt30r water cooled turbo.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

You think innovative would have done that? Lol

did you get rid of the S4? and i doubt it is JB welded lol…

umm im gunna have to say no to innovate doing that but you may wanna look into them possibly being snapped. if charge piping was to bottom out on the street or something its could very easily snap bolts. somethings gotta give. hopefully they were just loose and backed themselves out till they fell out.

They aren’t snapped there is nothing there at all.

Also, the charge piping couldn’t grab the ground. There is a racing cross member deal pretty much guarding it.

Backing out is a possibility.

Would anyone wanna lend me a bolt from this particular area so that way I could match something up?

i have a 35r you can grab a bolt from as long as you make sure i get it back, Or i can just check the thread pitch and size and holla back.

You think there would be any chance of matching it on mcmaster carr?

If we could do that, that would be sick. If not I would really love being able to pick up that bolt just to match it up at northstate supply.

Whatever is easiest for you, and I’d be forever grateful!

-Sobo

UPDATE:

Looks like someone forgot the locktite actually.

Upon further inspection, i noticed a few other bolts were backing out, and one on the downpipe too.

sorry bout that, WHAMMY

na heat breaks down the locktight bond. fyi
that’s why you need a mechanical holding fastener for that app.

yeah. you don’t want loctite. A good lock washer would go a long way there… even a shitty split-loc

That is a pte built turbo and could be the problem right there. This is a 30r compressor cover…
http://siadam.com/Pictures/turbo/1.jpg

Your’s is more like this style…
http://www.slowboyracing.com/images/W/PTE%20SC34.jpg

It will be either 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch or sae. This is a PTE qc problem not Innovative. You should never have to touch those bolts they should have been locktited when the turbo was built before balancing.

Loctite will be fine on the compressor side of the turbo and most times you are better off with a proper flange head bolt than normal hex with split washer. You will get more holding power and the spring tension of the split washer desipates with time as well as the washer being split has the ability to move out from under the bolt and break the torque. In a high heat vibration app you want flange head bolts and nuts and next step is a tapered washer last step is saftey wire.

Hey thanks a lot man.

Yeah I’m not trying to point fingers, its no harm done so no big deal.

Thanks for the information!