NY DMV Question: Claiming tax exemption for a gift vehicle

My boss had a 20+ year old beat up scooter that he is giving it to me as a gift, just want to know if all I need to do is have him fill out section 6 of DTF-802 and write $0 in “cash payment received” for it to be tax exempted.

Thanks ahead!

I don’t know how it works here in NY since I’m from MA, but I’ve been at the dmv before and the guy in front of me tried to swap the registration to his name on his “gift” car. It failed to the point where the lady basically said he was going to get a letter from the tax people.

Now take this with a grain of salt because its a different state and I only overheard the conversation. Never saw for how much the gift was declared.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Should be good to go!

Thanks for the confirmation! :number1

I was always told to pay tax on $1

Actually hold off til I can check for sure on Monday I’m second guessing myself now. you may need to pay tax if the person gifting it to you is not related to you.

Thanks.

Thats what I always thought, just from what it says on the form. Its a scooter, say you paid $1 for it like Pjbizzle says lol

and be nice to the DMV rep so they don’t charge fair market value for tax. I’m pretty sure you will be liable for tax, but I’ll know for sure tomorrow.

Just say it was a gift. It’s an old scooter. They’re not going to take away your birthday over a scooter.

That and be organized they like when people come in with paperwork filled out and in order, but yes you have to be family (I think immediate family if Im not mistaken) to be exempt from tax, it should say that on the DMV bill of sale form. Thats how I reg’d the Harley from my father in law without paying tax. They were going to charge me tax but we put it under my name and my wifes name so they couldn’t.

Put $1 like others said and don’t mention it’s a gift. As long as the seller signed the tax form they have to charge tax on the $1 and that’s it.

roflmao +rep if i can.