NYSpeed Track Day #1 - Friday June 15th, 2007

[quote=“dmoffitt,post:486,topic:26320"”]

You guys can argue physics and theories all day til you’re blue in the face but it’s this simple:

Braking harder and shorter CONSERVES brakes - the less time the pad and rotor touch, the less heat is transfered between the VERY hot rotor and into the brake fluid. The rotor’s job in addition to providing adhesive AND frictive force (if you don’t get the difference / what I mean, stop arguing now and research more) is also as a heat sink.

I told my “student” in the Z06 this: Don’t “street” brake - despite what you think, it’s harder on the brakes, even if you’re trying to be “gentle” to them.

As far as braking “too early” I was def. braking a bit earlier than I could have / should have but was ALSO off them earlier and then back on the gas into the first turn - the “wrong” thing to do IMO was to brake, stay on the brakes, coast, brake more, then turn at 2 (the sharper / 2nd right hander).

But I won’t profess to be an expert or by any means the fastest out there - just offering my $.02 - JayS, RedrRocket is right about less time / more force (short of locking things up completely).

[/quote]

Great advice from someone with experience. After watching my videos I can’t believe how much I was letting off the gas before going into the corners… I was taking it real easy on my brakes & car. I think it all has to do with when I was at Watkins Glen and lost my brakes. This happened to me twice - one time was because my fluid boiled and I didn’t do enough prep on the brakes. The 2nd time I was at the Glen, I had brand new Hawk pads, brand new motul 5.1 fluid, and bled all brakes right before going on the track. I also broke the pads in on the street. After the first hard lap at the Glen coming into turn 1 my brake pads felt all mushy and the pedal went to the floor and the car didn’t stop too well. If I would have went into the turn full force, it would have been over. After that the pads must have heated up and felt fine but it’s always scary losing your brakes. I’m sure Dave can tell you this from last week’s track day.