NYSpeed Track Day

Between my car getting skinnier, the chicane getting wider and my confidance growing I was able to “thread the neddle” with the go foot planted to the floor. Even with the lack of power (compared with other cars) I was still able to get up to 100~105. I had braked, droped to third, and hit turn one more than enough times to be comfortable with it. So I started giving ride alongs.

The last time was all the same. After the chicane and coming up on my braking zone I started to brake with my heel hovering over the gas. Except this time I wasn’t scrubbing off speed. So I applied a little more brake, and then backed off a little to try for turn 1 (the skidmarks show full lock up, so either pedal feel went away or my modulation went). But there was no way I was going to make it. So instead of trying to be a hero and cut the wheel I thought I would just use the run-off.

I must have been moving pretty good because that run-off got really short, really quick. I look and there were those large bails of hay moving at me at 40-50 mph. Somebody else will have to chime in on what it looked like. I nailed one good with the driver’s side headlight and another with the rear passenger quater.

I thought it was going to be like hitting a brick wall. Fortunately that was not the case. Both Andy and myself walked away unharmed. Myself, I have only the smallest little marks from my harness and a sore neck/upper back. For the car the damage was relatively minimal, and was able to drive.