OBD1+OBD2 READERS

OK SO I HAVE A 89 SOHC KA AND IM LOOKING TO GET A READER BUT I JUST WANTED TO CONFIRM THAT MY COMPUTER IS OBD1 OR IS IT SOME THING ELS??? IM A NUB TO THE READERS AND WOULD LIKE SOME FEED BACK FROM U GUYS/GIRLS… THANKS A LOT …

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

WHAT KIND OF READERS DO YOU GUYS/GIRLS RECOMMEND???.. IM LOOKING AT INNOVA SCAN TOOLS ARE THEY ANY GOOD ???

OBD1 from 95 back

ok obd 1 but the innova scan tool dose not specify that its for nissan it just has gm ford toyota/lexis

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

will its still connect with all the adapters that come with the kit???

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

or do u guys know of a scan tool that has codes & diagnostics as well as the emissions reader???

no the scanners will not work , you would need a nissan consult tool, or the conzult cable and use a laptop, or you could spend 6 grand on a snap on computer that will work, as far as an emmission reader the ones that plug in are for obd2 and up …basically 1996 and up.

fuck those innova tools are great from what i have read, the nissan consult tool is that just codes or will it give u diagnostics as well ??
dose any one have a nissan consult tool that they can show me how it works??? have a little demonstration …

OBD1 is just pulling codes man. OBD2 you can do further diagnostics: volt, emissions, live/testing, etc. All you need is a device that pulls codes which you can eithier google or check in a manual book if it has one. I have never used an OBD1 reader, but assume it is like a 2. You would just connect it to the port, turn the ignition key but do not start the car, and look up the codes that are downloaded shortly after.

I don’t even get codes anymore or have a working OBD port. Thank GOD they don’t do OBD checks here.

The nissan ecu’s have a diagnostic led port on them that will flash to tell you the codes when put into diagnostic mode.
The Innova scanners are great; we sell them at part source and I have one that I use for OBD1/2 that works wonders. For OBD1 it’s pretty much just the diagnostic light flashes a certain pattern and tells you what code is set via the pattern. The scanner can then clear the code. Its doesn’t get in depth, as Feint said, like OBD2.
See your service manual/teh internetz for how to set the ecu into diagnostic mode.
The CONSULT scanner, when it comes to OBD1, will do the same thing.

so the obd1/2 scanner u have,do u use it on ur s13???
for the diagnostic mode ur check engine light flashes and u read the code, but the only thing is i dont have a check engine light in my s13…

If you look on the side of the ecu there should be a hole with a red l.e.d. inside, next to a set screw. That screw will throw the ecu into diagnostic mode.

what are the proper procedures for diagnostic mode, and where can i find how to interpret the codes???

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

also i have the service manual for the 89 (off the net) and i cant seem to find the diagnostics pages?

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/ecmcodes.htm

hope that helps.

thanks lil mike.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/ecmcodes.htm   dose this site list all the codes ,,,,,,   the 13 that r posted thats all????

i guess so allrighty thanks for the help guys…