check engine light

hey my engine light just went on last night and is still on. i was wondering if anyone knows any good and cheap shops i can get the engine codes read (and is it ob1?). i hope its not something big and ive read other threads saying it most likely is the o2 sensor. car seems to run fine :dunno:

read them yourself its easy, just do a little google search and you can find and FSM onlie, or even search on SON im sure yur not the first person to have this issue, the answer you seek is within your reach, all u have to do is take your thumb out your bum :wink: … hope you find it, save yourself the 40 bucks please

Don’t listen to other people on the threads they have no idea what the code is. it could be a lot of different things. if it is the Oxygen sensor than they arent that bad in price. where are you located i might be able to help you scan it i have a scan tool

wow dude , u turn a stupid screw on the stupid computer , and u watch the little red light on the computer, long flashes represent the first number and short flashes represent the second number, then u look at the stupid FSM and u figure out whats wrong, u have no idea whats wrong , so dont jump to conclusions and think it ur O2 or better yet clear yourcodes first, u do that by unpluging the battery for afew minutes

i live in mississauga. if you could help me out it’d be greatly apprecaited. thanks man

If you read his first post, you’d realize his ECU is OBDI. Meaning there is no port for a scan tool.

Like Hector said, you have to access the ECU and follow the FSM procedure. The FSM details how to turn the screw, placing the ECU in self-diagnostic mode. From there you read out the code via blinking LED’s. You then reference this code in the FSM to find the problem.

A diagnostic tool will only be useful if the ECU is OBDII.

i’m not 100% sure if its OBDI but my car is a 95 240sx.

that really shows how much you know are you a mechanic obviously not. i had a 95 240 and i scanned it no problem you can scan obd 1 cars no problem. but i can scan a 1991 240 also all it takes is for me to put the other connector on.

well i guess yur a mechanic and were all idiots, but since ur the mechanic u would know that obd2 cars run like shit if the o2 is fucked , limp mode ya know , his symptoms are not reflective of a bad o2

Do you have any comprehension of proper grammar? Obviously not.

I may not be a certified mechanic, but that hardly discredits my experience with the car.

I suppose turbocharging the engine myself from scratch counts as nothing. :roll:

As he mentioned it was an OBDI system in the first post, there is absolutely no need for a scan tool. Sure, with some sort of connector I do not doubt you can do it, but why?

The only tool you need to read the code on an OBDI ECU is a screwdriver, and a socket to remove the ECU mounting bracket bolts.

If the system is in fact OBDII, then a scan tool becomes useful.

Right from the FSM. No scan tool needed for OBDI.

BTW, code 55 means everything is OK.

For OBDI:

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/1002/ecu12sm.jpg

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/2166/ecu21uy.jpg

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/7739/ecu37df.jpg

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/8638/ecu48hg.jpg

hey your engine light is on too ??? welcome to the club im president!!

haha and it seems like we both got purple 240sx…makes this club even more exclusive.

i want to check the ECU myself but im no pro at cars and i don’t wanna screw anything up. maybe when one day i have time to read everything from start to finish ill check it. unless someone a lot of expereince and can help me, that would also be cool. and boys…let’s not fight now…play nice! its christmas…holidays :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m not trying to fight with anyone here my intentions were to simply help people out. it doesnt matter who is a mechanic and who isn’t. instead of you guys simply counting flashes and things like that, i offered to scan it to get a quiker reading for the guy. simple. since you guys got it figured out already then i’ll leave you to do it yourselves.

Habib Alib is right…my friend from a shop scanned it for me with his snap on tool and it told me it was my primary o2 sensor. thanks Habib Alib for your help, i would have gone to u if my friend wasn’t available. Anyone know where i can get a new o2 sensor? (and not from a nissan dealership plz)

thanks for the help everyone.

i can see what i can do on wendesday when i go back to work. i can get them for sure. i’m just not sure on the price

Try calling Partsource for a quote.

My s13 O2 sensor (non-heated) was about $55.

However, 3rd party suppliers are not always the cheapest. So I would call the dealership for a quote anyways.

aftermarket price for o2 sensor is like around $100 i heard
and dealership price for o2 sensor from nissan would cost me more than $100 for sure.

oh and one final question. when my friend checked my ecu, he didn’t unplug the battery and it read my primary o2 sensor (i don’t know the procedure of reading the ecu). i just hope it read it right i don’t have enough cash to be running around buying different parts.

For this case, probably. However, not in all cases.

I replaced a primary O2 sensor on my friends OBDII Impreza.
Partsource wanted $400, apparently because that particular sensor went out of production.
The dealership wanted $110 for an OEM one.

Always good to check, it doesn’t cost you anything.

You need the battery plugged in while running the diagnostic. Otherwise the ECU cannot send a signal to the scanner.

single wire standard o2 sensor.

65 bucks

1 day lead time

let me know

GT