Can't Read SES Codes from 96 Sebring

My girl’s car just had the Check Engine light pop on today but the car is running fine.

I pulled out my ODBII reader and hooked it up - nothing. Double checked the reader on my car and it works. I checked every single fuse and all were ok. The radio is also acting funny - I.E. no radio stations come in and the CD player isn’t spinning up. Related?

I’ve never heard of the ODB port not working so I am looking for advice to find out what the trouble code is.

Did it fit correctly? I know that sometimes early in the OBDII phase that they used OBDI connectors.

Yes the scanner fit in perfectly. I tried to read the voltage from the pins with my multimeter and the probes didn’t fit in. I didn’t have a paper clip or wire to make a jumper.

But she also told me the radio stations not coming in has been that way forever. Her antenna is not connected.

But I checked the oil… and it was bone dry! I told her to check the fluids and she said that she did :mad:. I added almost 3 quarts. I also cleaned the battery terminals that were friggin nasty, which in turn cleared the code that I hope was for low oil pressure or something. I didn’t see a specific light for oil in the dash.

I went to a local transmission shop a few months ago because they were running a free scan, with my altima. The check engine light was on and their scanner could not read it, he tried it on another car and it worked fine. He said the only time he has seen a scanner not read was when the o2 sensors were fucked up. I needed to change the o2 sensors on my car anyway so I took it back down after and the scanner worked fine. I don’t know if it was a fluke, but it seemed to be the case.

Isn’t there a built in methed of reading codes? My sho flashed the hvac lights and my altima has a readout on the computer under the dash that will show check engine codes.

I thought there was a way to get codes similar to ODBI style too. I just couldn’t find the way to do it. Usually there were just some pins to jump. I am curious now if since the code is gone if the scanner will work… I’ll try it later and see.

i have ran into that before. the better scanner wouldn’t work. but a el cheapo scanner did.

Well mine IS the el cheapo. The ones they tried at AutoZone didn’t seem any better. A buddy of mine has a full array of testers. If the light comes back on I’ll see if I can get him to loan it to me for 30 seconds.