Free OBDII Code Scanner available at Gearhead Performance

Just letting everyone know that we now have an OBDII code scanner available for people to read and clear DTCs. This also has the functionality to check whether your vehicle is ready for an emission test if you’re due for an inspection. We also have the code library for manufacturer specific codes so you can get an answer right here without having to go home and look it up. We have a pretty extensive line of replacement parts available as well.

Remember if you have any questions you can always contact us at 518-456-7698 10AM TO 7PM M-T, 10-5PM F, AND 10AM-2PM SATURDAY.

In case you don’t know where we are we are at 438 New Karner Road (Rt. 155) In Albany, NY 12205.

Thank guys!

Nice always good to know. What type of cars do you guys usualy work on?

We work on a little bit of everything from simple to fairly in depth. Currently our (personal/works in progress) cars include a '85 BMW 325e, '03 Honda Accord, '99 BMW 323i, '97 Ford F-350, '68 Firebird, '80 Firebird, and a '85 Buick GN. As you can see it’s varied from Domestic to Japanese to Euro and Car to Truck. We have experience with just about everything and get parts for most everything performance and replacement. Keep us in mind and thanks for looking!

Wow thats quite the lineup you have. Its always good to know another shop that works on domestics. I have a 2004 Mustang Gt. I was wondering if your computer can tell me whats wrong with my truck. I have a 1990 Toyota SR5 v6 4wd. It runs good and always starts and idles fine but has no power whatsoever for hills and whatnot. I replaced the air filter fuel filter plugs and wires distibuter cap and rotor and its still running kinda crappy. The truck sat for about 2 years before i rebuilt the differential and got it on the road again. Im worried that some crap got into the fuel system somewhere and that is my problem. Ive tried feul injector cleanor but had no luck. So i was thinking if i got it on a computer it might read where the system is going wrong. Any ideas?

I decided not to get the OBDI scanner mainly because they are so vague when you go to diagnose them. But it sounds like you should check a couple of things. I’ve had several cars come to me with a similar problem. Check to see what color the tips of the spark plugs are because it seems like you’ve had some drive time with it. If they’re white you should check the rest of the fuel system(in the tank) because you’re running really lean. If that doesn’t seem to do it then check the catalytic converter. It will usually glow when it clogged, lol. Just my 2 cents on it for the internet diagnosis.

hmm i pulled the cat off actualy and ran a flex pipe in place of it. The plugs i pulled were black ill have to check the new ones ive put in. Runnin lean would make sense but the truck seems to go through alot of gas. about a quater tank every day which is about 1 hour and 45 minute both ways to work. im not sure of the milliage but its around 15 to 17 probly. seems like alot to me. if the plugs are white what should i look for in the tank. A bad fuel pump maybe. I was thinking maybe the injectors were bad possibly? Any ideas would help me here im at a bit of a standstill. Ill pull a plug this weekend and let you know the verdict.

If they’re white you should open up the fuel tank and check/replace the fuel sock on the end of the fuel pump/sending unit. You’ve already changed the downstream fuel filter and that hasn’t solved the problem so there’s only 1 other place to go.