Odd starting issue 2004 Jetta, need help

OK I got this turd about 4 months ago. 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T. I test drove it twice and had no issues starting it at all. fired right up just fine. Picked it up and drove to the gas station 10 mins from the guys house. Shut it off, went to start it again and all I got was a CLICK from the relay. Jumped it and still click, starter didnt even try to turn over.

Pop it and get it home. Put a starter in it, from my old jetta which never had a problem and had like 60K on it.

works fine for a few months, and about 3 weeks ago it starts acting up again, doing the same thing. Get in it every once in a while and it just clicks.

What I noticed was if I put it in neutral and pump the clutch a few times to click the saftey switch while holding it to START it would click, click, click then all of a sudden get lucky and turn over and start perfectly fine. Did that for a week or so, about 20-30 starts and it progressively got worse, so I just pop started it, driveway is on a slight hill FTW. What I also noticed was is there is a cunt hair of a sweet spot in the clutch pedal travel/switch that seems to start it every time. so i think maybe the switch is bad?

If I drive it for an hr, it will fire fine. Like I pop it to go to work, get to work, shut it off and start it again fine. At the end of the day, CLICK. Sometimes the clutch kick trick a few times works others I say fuck it and pop start it.

Voltage light never comes on, no low voltage code when I scan it. Alternator is new as of 10Kmi. Battery I havent tested or put a volt meter on yet.

Only thing I can think is a constant draw drains the battery over like 8 hours to the point it doesnt have enough amperage to hold the starter solenoid closed to turn over. BUT why does trying it about 10 times with the clutch make it turn over fine? Is it another starter? Or maybe the switch on the clutch pedal? Any ideas? I need to put a volt meter on the battery still. I know.

Cliffs?

Don’t have time to read the whole thing…sorry lol.

Bad ground.

It starts right up when you jump it because if throw enough juice at a bad ground it will find a way.

That’s my guess from what I’ve seen.

battery and grounds are fine…

needs either a 53 or 109 relay, or a clutch switch.

Needs a TDI

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl don’t they all

Jump the switch and see what it does for a few days

exactly what i said John.

fixed

Where ???

VW is just doing its VW thang, nothing they wernt designed to do. Nothing to see here.

Jumping it DIDNT start it.

Got all three between the two of us, will try.

Yes it does, but sadly they all use the same dumb starters, relays and switches. so it will still fail.

1.8T’s never lose.

on it. Wire will be stuffed in the sockets this evening.

Yes wayne suggested that as well this afternoon.

5.3L & RWD is how they should all have come!

Here.

BAM BIGGEST MULTI REPLY SINCE SINGH HIMSELF.