Off roading guys, advice plz!

I’m not sure if the old off-roading forum got nommed but If I am just dumb could a mod please move this thread there?

Anyway, I found this jeep and am going to take a look at it today and wanted some opinions on what you experienced guys thought.

[COLOR=black]http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1378678910.html[/COLOR]

The thought of a jeep with a 6.6L and 4.10 gears just sounds way to fun, what do you guys think? Is there anything to look for in a vehicle like this in particular?

That thing should do wheelies!! Looks pretty sick, just make sure everything was done right

look at the frame and body mounts, the YJs are known for them rusting.

carbs = no good for offroading.

Just need the right carb, BUT I highly doubt that is has the right one on it

I really don’t plan on off-roading it to much, but I would guess since this has been made for more off-roading you guys would know more of what to look for on something like this.

Lets assume those YJ’s are rusted, should I throw out the idea right away, or would it be something worth getting fixed?

Check Frame, And the tub.

but i honestly doubt those are gonna be bad. If the tub is bad, you can usually pick up a fiberglass one cheaper than you can get a steel one, but good luck taking it off the beaten path. Chances are youll crack / smash it. Frames rotten, weld on some c-channel

check the frame and the tub. if it is rotted pass on it. yjs are a dime a dozen and can be had very cheap. it is easier to build a solid yj than rebuild a built yj

that looks like the jeep that was sitting in the parking lot of united 4x4 last time i was up there.

and my friend josh has a pretty big CJ8 with a carb’d 350 and the only time its an issue is if he gets on a very shitty angle for a few seconds. other then that the thing does work so i’d say carbs arent a HUGE issue. If it has stock D30 & D35’s id worry about blowing axles offroading

It does have the D30/35’s and yes it is at united. It seemed to have alot of just surface rust and I could not find any rot underneath. I think i wannnt it

change out that d35 before you even drive it.

explorer 8.8 with this
http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

Now what if my intentions are not totally off-roading, won’t the d35 hold up?

d35 is fine until you offroad it.

swapping in an 8.25 from an XJ will be a ton easier than trying to put the 8.8 in it.
Also cheaper. Also I haz one for the salez boyyyy

haha

You have the 8.25? Pm mee (I really don’t know any of this off-roading stuff and keep googling shit as you guys post it lol)

don’t bet on that one.

the power from a 6.6 will quickly grenade the 35

the strength of the 8.25 over the dana turdyfive is negligible and not worth the efforts. the 8.8 is much stronger but takes a bit of effort to put it in.

one other option would be the super 35 kit. the people that have them swear by them

8.8 is the way to go and can be had with 4.10s easily. You will blow through that 35 in no time if you are launching off roading driving normally lol