OFFICIAL 2009-2010 NHL Playoffs Thread

It’s that time of the year again (the best time of the year), NHL Playoffs! My beloved Rangers blew it today, I can’t believe they lost to Philly. Anyways, here are the matchups:
EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens
#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers
#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche
#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings
#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings

My 1st round predictions:
Washington will take care of Montreal in 5, even if their goaltending isn’t quite proven just yet. The Devils lucked out playing the Flyers. Boucher has played well to get Philly to the playoffs, but New Jersey should be too much for the Flyers. Carter still isn’t 100% either, so that doesn’t help Philly’s case. I’m thinking Devils in 6. Boston has been shaky and I expect Tuuka Rask to get the playing time over Thomas. Even with Buffalo’s inconsistency this year, Miller will be enough to take care of Boston in 5. Pittsburgh should be able to handle Ottawa without too many worries, winning in 6.

Out west, San Jose and Colorado should be a good matchup. San Jose always seems to play excellent throughout the year but then struggles in the playoffs. I take the Sharks in 6. Chicago will take care of Nashville in 6, and I’ll be very interested to see how far they can go this year. Vancouver and LA will be another good matchup. I love the young talent the Kings possess. I think they will take the Canucks in 7, and they are my pick to win it all. Lastly, Phoenix and Detroit will be my favorite 1st round matchup. Phoenix has surprised everyone this year by making the playoffs and finishing 4th at that. Detroit has been red hot climbing into a playoff spot. Howard’s play will be key for Detroit. I’m taking Phoenix in 7.

As I mentioned already, I’m really liking the Kings chances of winning it all. They are my underdog favorite and it’ll be exciting to see how they do. I could end up looking like a fool though if they make an early first round exit. We’ll see how it goes. I haven’t been able to follow all of the action this year as much as I have liked, so my predictions could be terribly off.

I do however believe the Cup winner will be a Western Conference team. I just don’t see any good strength from the East. I believe Buffalo can go far under Miller’s play. The rest of the teams don’t have a playoff proven goaltender to take them all the way. You can argue for Brodeur’s case, but the Devils always find a way to lose within the first two rounds lately. Pittsburgh has done it before, but they are not as strong as they once were. Let’s hear what you guys think, I can’t wait til the puck drops later this week!

I made a bracket at work if people want to fill it out for fun? If so I’ll post it. I’ll try and make it a PDF so people can type in their predictions.

my picks
#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens- caps in 5
#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - devils in 6
#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - sabres in 6
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - pitt in 7

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - sharks in 6
#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - preds in 6
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings - canucks in 6
#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - phoenix in 5

EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadians - Capitals in 6
#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - Devils in 5
#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - Sabres in 5
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - Pittsburgh in 6

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - Sharks in 5
#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - Chicago in 6
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings - Kings in 7
#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - Wings in 6

EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadians - Capitals in 6
#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - Devils in 6
#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - Bruins in 7
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - Pittsburgh in 7

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - Sharks in 4
#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - Chicago in 5
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings - Canucks in 6
#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in 7

EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadians - Capitals in 5
#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - Devils in 6
#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - Sabres in 6
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - Ottawa in 7

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - Sharks in 5
#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - Chicago in 6
#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings - Kings in 7
#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in 7

Prediction’s from TSNs Bob McKenzie:

Okay, I am obliged to make playoff predictions, so here they are in all their gory glory: Washington over Montreal in 6; Philadelphia over New Jersey in 6; Buffalo over Boston in 7; Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6; San Jose over Colorado in 6; Chicago over Nashville in 6; Los Angeles over Vancouver in 6; Detroit over Phoenix in 5.

^^^I can’t believe he picked Buffalo in 7! No way that series should go 7 games. Surprising starts (or lack thereof) from NJ and Pitt. Fleury fought the puck all night. And Boucher came up pretty big for Philly.

yeah, I think a lot of people picked Boucher to blow it in the playoffs. None of the shots seemed overly difficult, but he shutout the Devils for ~57 minutes. Glad to see the sens win even though I hope their bus explodes. The Buffalo Boston series should go at least 6 games IMO.

Wow, first game upsets in the East for every series but Buffalo, did not expect that.

Anyone catch that hit by Sutton on Leopold tonight in the Pens-Sens game? it was a trainwreck.

Clean hit too from what I could tell. Elbow down at impact, feet on ice at impact.

Leopold fell like a rag doll after he was steam rolled. Clean hit, and Sutton hit him so hard, Sutton went through the penalty box.

Gotta keep your head up!

Anyone catch the Coyotes-Red Wings game? I caught it for the 2nd and 3rd and it really opened up. Just great speed and intensity which created a ton of offensive opportunities. 5 goals were scored in less than 5 minutes during the 2nd period, which hasn’t happened in a playoff game since the 80’s. Just a great game to watch and I’m glad I stayed up for it.

The sharks got lucky too…they seem to be struggling with the Avs

Man Grier let me down when he had that breakaway chance to tie the game. The Sabres PP is killing them! Two things you MUST have to be successful in the playoffs: Great goaltending and good special teams. Sabres had neither of those tonight. Miller has been playing extremely aggressive lately and today it hurt him a bit.

And I cannot believe the Canadiens!!! 4-2 after the 2nd, what is Washington doing?

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

This Montreal/Washington game is unreal! 5-5 going to OT now. Montreal blew a 4-1 lead that they had in the 2nd period.

This capitals series is good and the capitals aren’t even playing how they can.

They also lacked any semblance of passion from the end of the first period until the last 8 minutes of the third period. Can’t show up for 28 minutes of a playoff game and expect a win.

They deserved the loss today.

I just wonder why the NHL doesn’t suspend players when they pull the shit that Boychuk did to Vanek. He def meant for something to happen to him. A two handed slash to the knee is gonna do some damage to anyone. Thats what caused him to lose an edge and go into the boards and hurt his left leg or ankle.

^wrd to the past 4