Official MythBusters "PLANE on a CONVEYOR" episode PARTY!!! (12/12/07 @ 8pm)

in

i was asked earlier this week if i wanted to change my vote (from "will fly to “wont fly”) because the party is looming

apparently i was given one last chance to be wrong :rofl:

i may be in for this since i havnt been to any nyspeed events/meets in a long while

its in 7 days!!!

Finally, Adam and Jamie carefully navigate their way through a myth that has baffled everyone from web bloggers to pilots. If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don’t completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine.

the way that its worded would mean the plane was not increasing its speed over ground, if SOG = 0… the plane will not takeoff… but if run like the Youtube scenario… the plane will generate forward momentum and thus lift

no will, your actually wrong there. If the WHEEL speed is equal to conveyor belt speed then the plane cant take off. but if the plane has forward momentum, its taking off…

hrk made a diagram a while back that proved the speed of the plan could equal the speed of the belt, but that fucker is still gonna go.

no im NOT wrong… if takeoff speed = speed of conveyor belt… there is no forward momentum

but if its setup like the one on youtube… the plane is taking off fo sho fo sho

if the length of the conveyor belt is the minimal length of which a plane can take off it will sooner or later take off

if the its shorther then it will be no flight…

So all in all…it will be PLAUSIBLE!!!

They gonna say it will take off with enough conveyor length…so why bother with a conveyor when it acts the same as a regular runway without all the hassle lol

Who Says it PLAUSIBLE?

I am!

[quote=“Willybeen,post:106,topic:37453"”]

no im NOT wrong… if takeoff speed = speed of conveyor belt… there is no forward momentum

but if its setup like the one on youtube… the plane is taking off fo sho fo sho

[/quote]

UGH

[quote=“SilverGT,post:107,topic:37453"”]

…so why bother with a conveyor when it acts the same as a regular runway without all the hassle…

[/quote]

I think you are starting to catch on.

I guess that what i have been trying to say but it always seems like i was saying something else lol.

So you you in the plausible group too lol

I’ll be there at the big kid table :stuck_out_tongue: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

[quote=“bladez,post:111,topic:37453"”]

I’ll be there at the big kid table :stuck_out_tongue: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

[/quote]

+1

im in

+1 here at the big kid table with my hero bladez fox and psphinx

And i gotta try this roast beef with audios :wink:

oroc says it wont fly…

he can sit with the 4 people that wont think it will also

[04:57]mike: THE PLANE WILL NOT TAKE OFF FINAL ANSWER

[quote=“SilverGT,post:110,topic:37453"”]

I guess that what i have been trying to say but it always seems like i was saying something else lol.

So you you in the plausible group too lol

[/quote]

NO, I know THE PLANE WILL FLY.

[quote=“MPD47,post:12,topic:37453"”]

:lol: I’ll probably get hammered and be in for this.

[/quote]

Then I’ll drive us if you want, seeing as I have to work later that night.

in on it will take off.

yes, it will take off.

in order to take off, there needs to be lift. Lift is created when the pressure under the wing is greater than the pressure above it. A wing is shaped so that the top has more surface area, farther for air to move, creates lift when the air moves around the uneven surfaces (top and bottom) of the wing.
The key here is that the AIR needs to move. The plane can be stationary, not moving at all, if it is windy enough, the plane will want to raise, or take-off.
At the same time, if the wind is coming from behind the airplane at the same speed the airplane is moving, it won’t matter if it is moving at 1,000 miles an hour, it will not get off the ground.
Anyone who lives near an airport can vouch for the fact that airplanes take off and land INTO the wind. Runways are designed so that they are oriented into what is historically the direction of the prevailing winds.

The answer to the question as it was asked would be NO, the plane will not take off.
Unfortunately some important details have been left out, wind speed and direction, and is the actual conveyor itself moving, or just the belt?