Offset for rims

Can somebody explain offset to me please? What are the max and min offsets I can use, etc.

I’m looking to upgrade the rims and tires on my s14 (4 bolt). I’d like to figure what rim and tire combinations i could put on my car without buying spacers.

I currently have the 15" 4 bolt rims on my car (195/60R15).

Thanks for all your help guys.

Wow, i was just coming online to ask that very question… I was looking at some 5Zigen FN01R-C rims, 5/114.3mm, with 43mm offset for my 97 240sx, im wondering if that offset will work, since i too have no clue what offset is lol.

Depends on width, that ofset you mentioned is terrible (sorry)

Ideal offsets IMO would be as follows (S14)

Front (by tire size): 225 = +15-20mm 235 +20-25mm
Rear: 225 = +10-15mm 245 = +18-24mm 265 = +25-29mm

My Setup is 18x9 +22 and 18x10 +29 Using 235F and 265R

Thanks for those number Sasha, I really appreciate it. Now I can actually look for some rims! and tires.

FYI I have three different tire brands on my car. Michelin and yokohoma on rear, and the yoko is a winter tire! Doh!!! the front tires, I don’t even remember… time for tire shopping for sure…

Anyways, thanks again, mucho gracias.

what about for an s13?!

here

http://www.sequence-garage.com/offsets.jpg

A little photoshop i did up for ya. Basically, offsets depend on your tire size mostly. You could run a 10" wide wheel but if you’re only using a 225 tire, the offset would be the same as an 8" wheel on 225 tires, thats why you see so many crazy japanese and cali guys running rediculous offsets even on really really wide wheels - they have to run stretched tires so that they’ll clear the fenders and suspension.

So for an S13 tell me what tire sizes you want and i’ll tell you offsets based on my previous car.

I was running 225 in the front with a +20 offset (8" wheel) and 245 in the rear with a +35 offset (9" wheel). However i would reccomend lowering the rear offset cause mine was a bit too sunken for me, however because of the large tire i still had to roll the fender.

On S13 i’d reccomend 8.5" front and 9.5" rear with +25 in the front with a 225 tire and in the rear i’d reccomend a +30 offset with 245 tires.

Falkens are known to be much wider than advertised however, and each setup is different.

This is just a guideline, i dont want to be held accountable if you rub and dont feel like pulling/rolling your fenders!!

Great explanation, i saved that one

I still do not understand tire offsets. I’m gonna have to continue reading your explanations Sasha.

Sasha’s was great here is another explanation that might help.

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/1650/Image139.jpg

Maybe the technical jargon is confusing people.

To understand offset, imagine looking at the wheel from the side (the width).

Here’s an example.

Let use a wheel thats 17x7.5 with a 35 offset. To figure out where on that wheel the hub mounting surface is, you have to know some math. 35mm = 1.38 inches. So the centre of the wheel is half of 7.5 = 3.75. Add 1.38 to 3.75 you get 5.13. So this means 5.13 inches in from the back of the wheel is where the hub mounting surface is. And its in 2.37 inches from the front.