oil leak

my car is leaking oil i was under it today an the bottom of the transmission right behind where it meets the engine had oil on it and the exhaust next to the tranny had oil on it the oil pan right by the transmision had a little oil but the rest of the pan was clean so im thinking its not the oil pan gasket where else could it be leaking from an how can i find out

year? make? model? could be a pan gasket and its just weak in one spot.

85 300 zx its a turbo

check the rear main seal

how difficult is something like this if i do it ill probally pick up the manual for my car so i no what to do but i think you have to take the transmission off to get at this should i even bother atteming this my self or take it to some one i mean im not retarted but i dont work on cars all the time either

Well, first you have to find where it’s leaking. Oil leaks can come from all kinds of places, but they all eventually drip from the bottom, usually from the lowest point they can find.

Clean the engine up real good, any place you can find oil, start it up, and look for the leak. If it’s a real slow leak you might have to drive it a little first. Places to look:

Oil pan, rear main (if you can even see it), valve covers, distributor shaft, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter, oil pan itself (in case it rusted through), and oil filter.

If you still can’t tell where it’s coming from I think you can get a dye to add to your oil. When you shine a blacklight on it the stuff glows, so you can see where the oil is starting from. I’ve never had to try this because all my oil leaks have been bad enough to spot, yay GM engineering.

Also, check on a 300 forum. There are probably certain areas that are more prone on that motor than others. With the Fiero its the distributor shaft o-ring that is a VERY common leak point, something I found out on a Fiero forum.

If it is the rear main, it’s probably a PITA. Trans comes off, clutch comes off, flywheel comes off, then if you’re lucky with your motor and you can actually change it without tearing down the engine, the rear main can be removed and replaced. Again, a 300 forum could probably tell you more in detail, I’m explaining how to do it on a Fiero.

you should start using punctuation.

you should go check your oil:P

don’t forget to check your drain plug as well…like said above there are a ton of places it could be coming from