oil problem of some sort...let's talk about it.

car: 1990 acura integra
motAr: B18…non vtec (there i said it).

oil light comes on. sometimes it fades in and out. gets real dim, then bright, then dim. sometimes it just stays lit up. sometimes it flashes. sometimes it doesn’t come on at all.

obviously, i check the oil. the first two times the light came on it was a few weeks apart. it was a little low so i added some. a few weeks later, the light started coming on intemittently, but almost everytime i drove the thing. i did the usual first response to a problem on my car and hoped it would go away.

it was time for an oil change anyway. i changed the oil. put in 4 quarts of 5W-30 and a new filter. light went away for about a day, and now it’s back. i check oil level, it’s fine. i’m assuming these warning lights are triggered by oil pressure. i took the cap off the valve cover while it was running, and i can see oil shooting up and about. i’m guessing the oil pump is working ok.

could it be a bad sensor? http://smiliesftw.com/x/fingersx.gif

get a $30 oil pressure gauge and find out.

No oil pressure = blown motor. $30 is cheap insurance

[quote=“Violator,post:2,topic:30403"”]

get a $30 oil pressure gauge and find out.

No oil pressure = blown motor. $30 is cheap insurance

[/quote]

where can i get that for 30 bucks?

Grab a sunpro gauge from autozone or something

vtec would solve all of your problems.
come talk to me if you want a reliable gauge.

Check the wiring to the sensor (not sure how those honda’s are exactly setup). That could be the issue. I’m with everyone else though…get a cheap oil pressure gauge for assurance.

Terry

my mx6 had a similar problem when it over heated one day and some of the oil turned into black cottage cheese in some area’s.I just bought a few cans of motor flush and changed the oil after a week and repeted that one more time and it went away and never came back. Id pull the valve cover and check for any cloggy old oil build up anywhere.

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:4,topic:30403"”]

Grab a sunpro gauge from autozone or something

[/quote]

will check into that. thanks.

[quote=“EvilJay,post:5,topic:30403"”]

vtec would solve all of your problems.
come talk to me if you want a reliable gauge.

[/quote]

PM me pricing. i love you too.

[quote=“Terry,post:6,topic:30403"”]

Check the wiring to the sensor (not sure how those honda’s are exactly setup). That could be the issue. I’m with everyone else though…get a cheap oil pressure gauge for assurance.

Terry

[/quote]

thanks terry. i thought about wiring too, but i was kinda thinking it was one of those things that either worked or didn’t work. i don’t know a damn thing about hondas. my room mate thinks it’s a bad sensor too though.

[quote=“95mx6,post:7,topic:30403"”]

my mx6 had a similar problem when it over heated one day and some of the oil turned into black cottage cheese in some area’s.I just bought a few cans of motor flush and changed the oil after a week and repeted that one more time and it went away and never came back. Id pull the valve cover and check for any cloggy old oil build up anywhere.

[/quote]

that’s actually a really good point. this started shortly after i over heated real real bad picking up haenszel from the airport. i might try that.

update: i drove the car earlier today around the block a few times. ran fine. it pulls like normal. i didn’t get on it hard or anything, just drove it like i normally do and it felt alright.

if the oil pump was bad, i’d imagine i’d hear some real loud lifter tick. i don’t hear the lifters at all short of putting my ear next to the valve cover.

i was just browsing H-T, and i found a thread where the guy has the EXACT same issue i’m having. no one has responded to it yet, so i think i’ll bump it for the guy. i’ll post anything up they say on there.

isn’t the sending unit above the filter? anyone know? what if oil leaked onto the unit and is fucking up the connection? possibility?

IF YOU NEED A EXTER MOTOR CALL ME…:gotme: haha should be fine i drove a d16 around for like 2 months w/ no oil at all

[quote=“justa4door,post:10,topic:30403"”]

IF YOU NEED A EXTER MOTOR CALL ME…:gotme: haha should be fine i drove a d16 around for like 2 months w/ no oil at all

[/quote]

i love you mike.

looks like oil pressure guage is the best solution…

Some of the oil pressure warning system involves an expensive Integrated Control Unit. These ICU’s start to have failures with the age of our cars. Mine had similar oil warnings, so I installed an oil pressure gauge, and the pressure is perfect. I wouldn’t run the engine until you test the pressure to confirm that it is a false warning. The sending unit and the associated wiring could also give false warnings. Oil pressure is the life’s blood of the engine, don’t take it for granted.
My oil pressure gauge was only $24, easy to install, and allows me to see exactly what my pressure is. Would have been nice if they came stock in the car.