Oil Return Line on CA18DET

ok, so I have been working on an S14 T28 install for a while now, and this oil return line is giving me huge problems. When the turbo and manifold are on the block, the line won’t reach the turbo, and doesnt line up properly to the turbo either. So we decided to take the manifold off and do the line first THEN put the manifold back on. Unfortunately the line is too short and we can’t even get the exhuast manifold on. Im lost at what to do here. Is there a way to re do the oil return line to make it more flexible and longer so its easy to work with? If I do this how am I going to make the fitments with the turbo line up to the line? Im so fed up with this “bolt on” turbo install I think im just going to take it to a shop for this line. Any suggestions? Thanks.

SS lines? Are you using stock S14 hardlines?

Sorry, its on a 180sx, but the turbo is from an S14. Im using all stock CA lines basically. The only thing I have from the s14 is the turbo itself.

Nah man, get Taka turbo lines. SS braided to FIT.

So can I just take the metal line out of the engine block down at the bottom or what?

I don’t know man. I’m just offering simple advice, because I own a KA. No turbo’s for me. Never dealt with it, just speaking from reviews and other garbage I’ve read.

lifes easyier with taka

the return line is rubber hose is it not? down to the pan?

longer piece of rubber hose

^ No its a really stubborn thick metal line that refuses flex or bend enough. Im just gonna go stainless steel braided.

Hey man,

Just cut the pipe off where it starts to bend, then get a longer piece of rubber hose to go from the newly cut pipe to the pan. I had to do this with mine.

If you don’t mind a bit of a hacked look, this will work perfect! Otherwise get some stainless steel lines.

I don’t know what effort you put into your craftsmanship, but if you cannot make that simple job look good…you suck…

Stainless steel line > one piece metal line > cut metal line with rubber hose

It seemed to be fine from the factory…???:rolleyes:

It is after all only an oil return line.

Anywho…I’m done with this bickering.

Thanks guys ! I think I’m going with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oil-Drain-pipe-kit-Garrett-T25-T28-Turbo-Turbocharger_W0QQitemZ320189925752QQihZ011QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Either that or that rubber hose idea. Its an oil return line anyway that is burried under everything so it doesnt really matter what it looks like.

k so i had that problem when i threw a t28bb on my ca for the first tyme, the oil rubber return line kinked after a lil while due to heat… i pulled the metal oul return piece off the bottom of the turbo , torched it till it was cherry red and bent around an additional 90 degrees and therefore the oil return rubber hose was short and straight