ok honda guys...

for my gsr, crower stage 1 cams or civic type r cams? both are considered a mild cam upgrade, neither needs valvetrain upgrade which is what im looking for and both keep the stock redline. i did find some specs for both

crower stage 1’s
(from crower’s webpage)
Stage 1 - Street Use, CTR+ profile. Will work with Type-R valve springs. rpm range idle to 7800+. (12-15 hp). Duration @ .050" : Int-239 mid Exh-229 mid

civic type r
(from team integra)

INTAKE lift - 11.5 mm, duration 243 @1mm
EXHAUST lift - 10.5mm, duration 235 @1mm

since crower says it uses CTR+ profile im assumin that means more than CTR? the guy that has these crowers for sale says that crower says you can use the stock valvetrain and the stock redline with them. im just not sure if i should wait to find a set of the CTR’s or if i should jump on these. what do you think?

why not just go full Type R Valvetrain. Sure It would cost more but with any cam change I would say upgrade the springs to alteast Type Rs. I dont care if that say it doesnt need the upgrade but its something I wouldnt wanna test.

Any way out of the options Id go CTR > Crower

Crower 63401 (Stage 1) cams:
INTAKE lift - 11.38 mm, duration 249 @ 1mm
EXHAUST lift - 10.54 mm, duration 240 @ 1mm

1997-1999 ITR
INTAKE lift - 11.5 mm, duration 240 @1mm

2000-2001 ITR
INTAKE lift - 11.5 mm, duration 243 @1mm

I would stay away from crower cams if I were you. I don’t have any first hand experience with them, but I’ve heard more than one horror story of them breaking, and causing major engine damage.

If you’re just looking for a mild upgrad, I’d go with a set of ITR(or CTR they’re the same), or a set of TODA or Skunk2 cams. It’s also always recommended when you use a set of bigger cams to upgrade your valvetrain (again ITR, or Skunk2, along those lines).

Also, when using larger cams, you’re going to want to increase you’re VTEC cross over point. I’d set VTEC to engange around 5800-6200 RPM’s.

I’d go ITR valvetrain as well since you state you want to keep your stock redline. With a 249 duration, you’ll have to start reving it to get the most power out of it. Also, you’ll like the higher intake lift with the ITR’s which will help give it more grund when winding it up.

I wouldn’t stay away from crower, they’re a good company. Usually the horror stories are from people that don’t know how to tune or drive their car. Shit, im running web cams in my DSM and people “say” they are trash. oh well…im not worried about it.

…educate me…is it CTR intake, ITR exhaust or is it the otherway around? I cant remember off the top of my head what the ideal setup was.

ctr intake has the same specs as 2000-2001 type r’s. both have the same exhuast specs.

why not just leave stock valvetrain and use the sk2 stg 1 cams, I used them on my old gsr motor and had great success with them

in my all motor obsession days I really liked toda but you do have to rev the motor more to get the power out of them and also need more compression.

to get the most out of any of the cams you have above you will need more compression but I would go with 00-01 ITR cams if you want to mild and keep stock redline(why do you want to keep stock redline?) also get skunk2 or crower valve train and save the hassle later.

before 00-01 CTR intake ITR exhaust was the way to do it, but in 00 the ITR intake cam is the same as the CTR intake cam so just get a 00-01 set of ITR cams and save the cash.

on the other hand 97-98 ITR cams make more power on turbo cars than the 00-01’s do because of overlap

I have Crower 403’s possibly for sale, people say that they are to much for the street but i ran em all summer valves and retainers are highly recomended and higher compression. but if u wanna keep stock redline i would say
good luck

how would everyone feel about taking .020-.030" off the head for compression? obviously adding cam gears if not there already to dial them in.

everything is turbo with you, TURBO TURBO TURBO! :finger:

we need more NA Hondas

Def. upgrade the springs with a cam upgrade.

dare I even ask what kind of gains one would get with a cam upgrade on a GSR?

depends on the cam. Usually anywhere between 10-15hp for you stage 1 upgrades like Type Rs or other various cams with that profile

I myself prefer the turbo Honda’s, more bang for your buck :stick: