ok, NOW I'm scared

My point is its much easier to outsource even to a different part of the US for a programmer than it is for a network admin. Being a programmer is actually EASIER when it comes to finding jobs because you can work for anyone, anywhere (generally speaking due to todays advances in technology). I like my chances. If I’m truly good at my job (as I think I am - and I’m still getting better), a company won’t want to let me go. If I was a programmer, they could technically replace me with someone better who is hundreds of miles away and have them work from home. My good friend works/develops on the side for a company in Boston but lives in Latham. That’s the kind of stuff I’m talking about.

That is true. I got my gig without any education, but that’s because I had experience. I completed my education after getting hired.

The friend mentioned above doesn’t even have a 2yr degree. He just has a crap load of experience. I’m sure with a degree he’d be doing even better for himself though.

But that still doesn’t mean that education/certifications are useless as you are seemingly suggesting.

It was about education and getting degrees/certs in general and why it’s a good thing. Good enough cliff notes version?

Stop being such a dick. I’d hate working with someone like you. From what I’ve seen in the discussions you take part in on here, you think of yourself as being higher above everyone else because you have ‘experience’ and are a ‘consultant’. Whoopie!

Relax.

+1.

Seriously. I may be 22 but I think I’ve done quite well for myself. That doesn’t happen without hard work and knowing your shit. I bust my ass everyday, and I’m sure Shady does as well. Also, being a people person helps. Customer service is a big part of my job (internal customers and external customers).

I don’t give a shit if you’re a consultant, Massa. My brother is an assistant director being groomed to become director and gives me pointers on career management all the time. Every company is different, just cause you personally don’t care for certs or the companies you’ve worked with don’t, doesn’t mean everyone in IT doesn’t care.

I’ve actually looked at jobs in Clearwater, FL and many of them wanted MCSE/A, Network+, CCNA, or A+.

That’s exactly why I didn’t pursue programming. I don’t know how my other brother (who is a senior programmer/analyst for NYS Comptrollers) does it. Guy is smart but damn his job must be boring.

I’ve done interviews and I agree. There are some clowns out there. We were hiring an intern…all of them were tools except for one. And he ended up not working out as planned.

I busted my ass as an intern with this company. That’s why I’ve been promoted twice and my salary/responsibilities have more than doubled. I set a standard for future interns.

lmao.

I’m not trying to make enemies with anyone here but I take issue with anyone who says education/bettering yourself is worthless/waste of time. If it was, companies wouldn’t be paying for their employees to take classes and get certified. Your opinion is one thing, but stop making generalizations that IT in general no longer cares for certs. They do.