ok, NOW I'm scared

Ehh im just talking about my experiance when talking to employers…

aparently we both see 2 differant things…

and singh stfu your not even “in” this buisness

you are on the other end of things, in a way. You have your certs, you have your job, you are told your certs are worthy. Why would you not think otherwise?

talking to employers and being an employer are not comparable (I’m not really an employer, but I know enough about it to speak as one). What is an employer going to do after they see all your certs? come out and tell you that they don’t give a shit? I don’t think so. I’m sure all their answers are completely PC… “uhh, yes, it shows that you care about your career and want to further better yourself, very nice” :smiley:

so what ! im smarter than average and can see things from both ends, so i’ll put my 2 penies where i feel like :smiley:

plus i’ll ban u

See, i dont even rely soly on my resume and experiance to get me a job, im a people person, I know how to talk to them and I dont bullshit. Im not going to tell an employer how id love to come work for the company till im old and dead…

Truth is I dont know whats going to happen in the next few years but if I can id like to stay with you for as long as possible or untill its time for me to move on…

we are talking about certs and their worth… what the hell are you talking about? :rofl

I have no fucking idea, I just took the nastiest shit that the whole sales department can now smell and I think the fumes are messing with my head… Seriously it made me feel a little sick it fuckin stunk :rofl

thats a good point, be a people person, cuz no matter what business your in, if your good with people you will do muchhhhh better even if you work for some asshole or yourself…

Yea like here, everyone loves me, Im fun, outgoing and arent afraid to bust balls when needed. Where as the dumbshit that worked hear before me sat in the corner all day and jerked off and was tatooed and piereced up to high heaven, barely knew anything and dident talk to anybody.

you should get a certification for that

I do, whats your address I’ll leave it on your desk :rofl

My point is its much easier to outsource even to a different part of the US for a programmer than it is for a network admin. Being a programmer is actually EASIER when it comes to finding jobs because you can work for anyone, anywhere (generally speaking due to todays advances in technology). I like my chances. If I’m truly good at my job (as I think I am - and I’m still getting better), a company won’t want to let me go. If I was a programmer, they could technically replace me with someone better who is hundreds of miles away and have them work from home. My good friend works/develops on the side for a company in Boston but lives in Latham. That’s the kind of stuff I’m talking about.

That is true. I got my gig without any education, but that’s because I had experience. I completed my education after getting hired.

The friend mentioned above doesn’t even have a 2yr degree. He just has a crap load of experience. I’m sure with a degree he’d be doing even better for himself though.

But that still doesn’t mean that education/certifications are useless as you are seemingly suggesting.

It was about education and getting degrees/certs in general and why it’s a good thing. Good enough cliff notes version?

Stop being such a dick. I’d hate working with someone like you. From what I’ve seen in the discussions you take part in on here, you think of yourself as being higher above everyone else because you have ‘experience’ and are a ‘consultant’. Whoopie!

Relax.

+1.

Seriously. I may be 22 but I think I’ve done quite well for myself. That doesn’t happen without hard work and knowing your shit. I bust my ass everyday, and I’m sure Shady does as well. Also, being a people person helps. Customer service is a big part of my job (internal customers and external customers).

I don’t give a shit if you’re a consultant, Massa. My brother is an assistant director being groomed to become director and gives me pointers on career management all the time. Every company is different, just cause you personally don’t care for certs or the companies you’ve worked with don’t, doesn’t mean everyone in IT doesn’t care.

I’ve actually looked at jobs in Clearwater, FL and many of them wanted MCSE/A, Network+, CCNA, or A+.

That’s exactly why I didn’t pursue programming. I don’t know how my other brother (who is a senior programmer/analyst for NYS Comptrollers) does it. Guy is smart but damn his job must be boring.

I’ve done interviews and I agree. There are some clowns out there. We were hiring an intern…all of them were tools except for one. And he ended up not working out as planned.

I busted my ass as an intern with this company. That’s why I’ve been promoted twice and my salary/responsibilities have more than doubled. I set a standard for future interns.

lmao.

I’m not trying to make enemies with anyone here but I take issue with anyone who says education/bettering yourself is worthless/waste of time. If it was, companies wouldn’t be paying for their employees to take classes and get certified. Your opinion is one thing, but stop making generalizations that IT in general no longer cares for certs. They do.

I dont think massa is saying education and certifications are useless, I think hes just saying there not a big priority…

Anyone with the experiance and the education/certifications will triumph over someone with just experiance.

I would like to think I bust my ass at work. If theres nothing to do I help my bosses wife with clerical duties, if theres nothign to do there, I watch videos and read manuals about product we sell as to learn the company and help out in other areas.

Unfortunatly I’m looking for another job, as while I like working for the company I do I technicaly only work part time and how our IT department runs isnt the best in terms of bettering my abilites. We dont run in a domain and everything is done in a matter of most home computers.

My network at home is more advanced. I’ve been trying to get my boss to move us to a domain but he does not want to do it because employess don’t like change and most have been there for 5-30 years. Also hes convinced that its a single point of failure when its not when implemented right. Also right now we don’t really have the money to blow on server to do it. Although I’m confident I could make do with what we have and make it work efficiently. Basicly I want to implment this and if I did he could fire me in a heartbeat and lighten his own workload by 50%

So ILYA if your company is looking for people let me know :open_mouth:

Well yeah…but I think there should be a priority on it regardless. It’s not a waste of money or time.

If someone applies with 5 years experience and someone else applies with 5 years experiences + 10 certs. I’d imagine the latter would win out.

As for us hiring…we’re not hiring for sure lol. They are consolidating our data center down to TX, luckily I don’t just do networking but I do higher level support for everything around here (phones, PC’s, printing). They are counting on attrition to get rid of some people lol. I’m not going anywhere…I have plenty of work to do even without the major network stuff.

In terms of helpdesk its something that I don’t mind doing as I like finding weird problems and I don’t mind dealing with people, but I need some place that has a proper buisness networking structure so I can get some more experiance in that area because im not afraid to admit im deff lacking in those areas IMO…

Let me know if you know of anyplaces hiring or looking for people

Will you nerds PLEASE shut the hell up.

What are you using to look for work? I use Jobstu.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, capitalareahelpwanted.com.

Nerds are vital to almost every major organization on the planet. Everything is computerized these days…nerds are needed to maintain all of that stuff.

Welcome, minion. :P.

how dense can you be? How did me mentioning me being a consultant come off like I’m holier than thou? If you knew anything about the IT world then you’d understand why I brought it up. Since you didn’t, it just further proves my point on how clueless you are. Consultant work is VERY risky. We usually get tossed into projects expecting to perform immediately. Hiring process is usually much more involved because of that. I simply brought it to prove my experience. Not too sure how you read it as me bragging. Being a consultant is nothing to brag about AT ALL. I’d much rather be a FTE in a secure company.

don’t really see how any of this is relevant, yet again. Maybe you are just rambling about stuff in some lame attempt to get my off course… not really sure. Don’t give a shit who are what your bro does. Career management? hahaha. Is that like a life coach?

You are 22, been at the same job forever and you think you know how the IT world works. For some reason you insist on arguing with me when I know the way the industry works WAY better than you. Not too sure why that is, but suit yourself.

I’ve already stated that I think certs are a complete joke AND I’ve also stated that some companies do care about them. I can prove my point over and over again. Singh agreed with me, but it must be the cool thing to argue with me since you didn’t address him :shifty.

…ok…so???

boring, it can be, but it pays the bills better :smiley:

you have a serious comprehension issue. I never said furthing your education is worthless… I said certs ARE. BIG difference. Certs are just a test of what you know, they don’t teach you anything. Getting one just proves your worth. Paying for some cert to prove your worth is lame. And then flaunting it around like it’s some amazing accomplishment is even worse. there is no substitute for education and experience.

lock1

possibly, but not likely. A good interview will be able to tell the persons knowledge on a specific subject. If said applicant w/o certs answers them better then they will get the job vs applicant w/ 18.76 certs and can’t answer shit. If your goal is to get a job w/o an interview then get as many degrees and certs as possible. :rofl

why, does it bother you that this thread has stayed on topic for so long?