On-car brake lathe?

I thought I remembered someone saying they got one of these at their shop. Domination? 1st Try?

If so I might be interested in having this done. The rotors I replaced recently on the Acadia are pulsing already. Calipers don’t seem to be hanging up & the hubs were pretty clean before I put the rotors on. I’m wondering if the hub is a little bit out and turning the rotors in place might help?

ya I got one, but haven’t used it in about 2 years.

where did you buy your rotors from? crap rotors warp quickly even more so after being shaved.

Centric rotors - bought them online. About 1000 miles on them. They were the only choice other than OEM or the Advance Auto Chinese rotors.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=Premium+Rotor

Have you checked run out on the rotor and hub?

Domination has/had one.

we have a pro-cut here at work. ford requires it for warranty work. it works good but i can still bench lathe a rotor faster. I’m still in the learning process with it but it does do the job

if you use ceramic pads they don’t dissipate heat well and the rotor can warp pretty fast after some hard braking. also keep your lugnut torque even, which i’m sure isn’t the issue

Jeff when are you going to dump this garbage on 4 wheels at the dealer for good ? :slight_smile:

DSM’s are sounding better :rofl:

^ I’m with you. I think the extended warranty (i.e, the “I-think-it’s-going-to-break-a-lot” policy) is going to pay off.

I should check the runout on the hub like onelsowbowtie asked. I have a dial indicator but no magnetic base or other attachment pieces. I’ll have to track one down from someone at work.

are you being anal retentive or it just is flat out annoying pulsating everyone who drives it ?

Yins engineers are goofy like that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Good luck with it.

Need a sound clip of the rustang :boink

could it be pad material on the rotor? last time i did brakes on my car, they pulsed for the first couple hundred miles, but smoothed out considerably to the point of no pulse.

It’s the kind of pulsing where it shakes the vehicle when braking going down a big hill.

shakes the steering wheel or the whole vehicle?

Jeff… we have one. We haven’t used it that much tho and I have never personally used it. They say they work great. Its at our Fayette City shop.

Feels like the whole car but not positive.

I’m going to check the runout on the rotors and hubs and see if that’s the problem or if it’s a suspension issue or something else. If it’s the rotors/hubs it might be worth it to try it.

usually steering wheel vibration is the best indication of front rotor problems

if it’s in the entire car it may be the rears, check front and back