Operation H.A.N.O

Hey everyone, i was wondering if i could get some info on tires and rims. Ive been looking on websites and picking up info everywhere and anywhere i can. (magazines, friends, google, etc) Basically, what I want to know would be things like: How do you find/know the measurement on a rim? Say that i decide to buy it, and i read that the rim is 17x8 and has a 2ich offset, or something like that. How would i know what size to buy, along with depth and offset, for my car, without getting something comletely out of wack? And also without copying/following the trend of buying the same thing as everyone else, without having a clue why its better.(i know how to read tire measurements). Another question relating to this subject would be with tire compounds. How would you know what the best tire is for, depending on its use. Such as, summer tires, (lets go with low profile). Each tire is rated with a number i believe, how would i use that number realisticly in order to find out what tire i need?

If you have any websites that have info on the things im looking for, that would be a big help.

Thanks for having a look, any info is greatly appreciated, as im willing to learn/read as much as i can. It would be alot better for me to understand and appreciate what i put on/into my car, and what effects come with it. Weither they be positive or negative, rather then just forking out hard earned money on something stupid that is mad JDM tight/hot atm.

By the way, H.A.N.O stands for: Help A Noob Out;)

Offset
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/images/wheel.offset.gif

Study it, know it.

you can find the majority of information on wheel and tire sizing at http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoCenter.jsp?
Or many other wheel /tire websites, or a quick search on google.

Go onto Zilvia, open the wheel whore fitment thread or maximum wheel fitment thread, theres others as well. see their setups and what kind of fitment you want. You say “And also without copying/following the trend of buying the same thing as everyone else” but everyone is doing it for a reason, it works good and looks good.

You’ll spend hours seaching up different wheel setups and measurements before you get a really good grasp of what works on what and what you want with your car. No ones going to be able to explain it in a nutshell. start reading, gogogo.

Alright, thanks alot, and also , i didint mean anything negative when i said " everyones doing it" i just ment that id like to find my own setup, something that i found myself rather then just stealing others. But yea … enuff talk, time to read!

IMO, the most important number for proper fitment is backspacing. it’s the distance from the inside lip of the rim to the mounting surface. the problem with figuring that out is that rim width is measured in inches and the offset is measured in millimeters so you have to do some math… no one likes math.

but yeah, read read read. it’s really the only way to learn unless you have thousands to spend on buying/selling rims to learn hands-on.

^^Backspacing is, in most ways the same as offset. Backspacing is how the American car guys measured fitment, some still do but for the most part its switched to mm measurement. Basically backspacing was the imperial way to measure offset, they both tell a similar thing.

sort of. offset doesn’t directly translate into backspacing though, it still has to be calculated. for example you can’t just say “this rim will fit well, i know 240s are supposed to have a +15 offset!” it depends on the rim’s width also.

yea thats true, they are slightly different. I editied my post abit when I read it over, sounded to affirmative. When hes reading up on wheel sizing for most imports hes most likely not going to come across backspacing measurements. Still a good thing to know though.

Just for the record, Brenden has never had anything to do with wheel fitment. He only steals rims/tires from me, that happen to fit perfect on his stupid car with no camber.

P.S. Do NOT listen to anything I say about wheel fitment. Mexiflush FTW

it’s only really necessary if you’re trying to fit a wide wheel on stock body, you want the most backspacing possible without hitting the suspension/frame.

just for the record, mark is a filthy whore who doesn’t believe in positive offset.

LOL^^ , and thanks again guys, after reading for a good while, i understand alot about sizing, positive and negative offsets, and even about camber adjustments and toe’s ( gotta understand more about that ). but yea,… FUTURE AND OTHER CURRENT NOOBS… not saying any names, but you know who you are … cough cough … david … cough… READ, LOVE, AND LEARN THIS SHIZZAZ! … that is all :).

Offset = distance in mm, off the centre line of the wheel.

Backspace = distance from mounting surface to edge of the inside portion of the rim.

Therefore… they are quite different… one is measured from the centre line of the rim. The other is from the inside lip of the rim. SCrew those up and you’ll end up some crappy fitment… Trust me… I know lol