Opinions on Receiver

Sony STR-DG800

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7697539&st=STR-DG800&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1138084389963

I mainly only stick to pioneer receivers and sony speakers but this got me interested. Im really looking for a new receiver with HDMI and 7.1 Channels.

I have a chance to get it for $250

Carver >*

speakers klipsche

i really dont wanna spend over 200. I’d open the wallet a little wider for this sony tho

what are you gonna end up doing speaker-wise? i think youd be better off with something from onkyo or harmon kardon. you should check out home theaters in a box, they come in 7.1 too plus you get all 7 speakers and such…

i have a yamaha, it was like $400, but the best receiver i ever had…

i already have sony surround and floor speakers

Ended up going with this:

Power
Power Amplifier Design= Pioneer Hybrid Amplifier Design
Surround Power= 770 Watts Total System Power - 110 watts x 7 (1kHz 1.0% THD @ 8 Ohms)
Stereo Power= 220 Watts Total System Power - 110 watts x 2 (20 Hz - 20kHz .7% THD @ 8 Ohms)

Digital Decoding & Processing

Digital Engine= Freescale 180 MIPS Processing DSP
Dolby® Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital EX
DTS® 5.1
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
DTS 96/24
DTS Neo:6
Pro-Logic II
WMA9 Pro
5 / 6 / 7 Channel Stereo= 7 Channels
Virtual Surround Back
Mid-night Listening
Dialogue Enhancement
Loudness
Sound Retriever
Speaker Configuration
Speaker Size
Speaker Level
Speaker Distance
Acoustic Equalization
Digital Analog Conversion (DAC)= 192kHz / 24-bit

Connectivity

Audio (Tuner Included) / Video Input= 4A / 4AV
XM® Ready
Audio/Video Output= 1A / 1AV + 1V
Digital Inputs= 5 (2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 Front Optical)
Optical In= 3
Coaxial In= 2
Multi-Channel Input= 6 Channel
Preamp Output =7.1 Channel
Composite Video Input/Output= 3/2
S-Video Input/Output= 4/3
Component Video Input/Output= 3/1
Headphone Output= Yes
Front A/V Inputs= A/V, S-Video, Optical
AC Outlet= 1
Banana Speaker Terminal= Yes
SR Control= SR+
Speaker A/B= Yes

Conveniences

FL Dimmer
On-Screen Display XM/iPod
Sleep Timer Yes
Remote Type LCD Preset

I love it… i first wanted an HDMI receiver but as i read up most were only HDMI (passthru) and you could only get video to pass thru to the tv and sound wouldnt travel to the receiver… (unless you wanted to spend $1,000+ for a fully compatible HDMI receiver) and i didnt
so i settled for the next best thing which was receiver with 7.1 and optical/digital imputs.
very pleased with this receiver

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069809_316743263,00.html I was looking at that but couldnt get a good deal on it like the above receiver… THX would have been FTW :frowning:

what kind of deal u get on it…look decent

i’d probably take the sony over the pioneer
i’m not really a pioneer fan.

my Harmon Kardon has done well by me.

here is a test…pick them both up & which ever one is heavier…get that one.
9 x 10 times thats works for recievers.

carver is nice…

but if you have a big wallet…i like KEF better then Klipsche.

for deep pockets, Denon is serious gear.

Denon > *

I personaly have an Onkyo reciever in my room and really love it, it has held up for years and I always forget to turn it off. I stream my mp3’s through airtunes at night and when I wake up, I leave and forget to turn it off… im sure thats not a great idea. I think it was on for a week stright one time, lol. Behind my house back by my pool we use a Yamaha reciever for the outside surround sound and its a great reciever also.

Enjoy your new purchase!! It looks like a nice reciever! What speakers did you end up going with? Any Bose 201’s / 301’s? I am not a fan of bose home systems at all, but when you buy their speakers seperate, they kick ass.

onkyo is decent… when i bought my reciever about 7yrs ago it was between onkyo & Harmon kardon… the H-K sounded a bit better so i went that route…& it weighted more…LOL (i’m telling you that method works)

Yamaha is realyl nice too
and Marantz makes decent stuff too