Can't decide between A/V Receivers

Onkyo TX-SR605 or Harmon Kardon AVR247

Both are quality, budget receivers that run roughly the same price. I don’t need anything crazy.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Onkyo

http://www.us.onkyo.com/images/products/Receiver/TX-SR605B_front.jpg

Harmon Kardon

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/product_large/AVR247.jpg

Paging dmoffitt and brent_strong

I think the HK is ugly.

x…

I like the H/K ones, the only thing that I dislike about them is that a lot of them are underpowered and if you want to get extremely serious, you might want to think about running an amp with it. H/K has it in terms of sound quality, thats for sure, just the overall output isnt that great. I dont know much about Onkyo, but from what I have heard they are also pretty good bang for the buck. If you are after sound quality, H/K gets my vote.

Ill have to check later when im home, but im pretty sure thats the exact HK unit I have. It fucking rules. Loud as all hell, and crystal clear. Anyone that’s been over for a hockey game or xbox live fest can confirm :slight_smile:

Ive heard nothing but bad about harmon kardon. I dont like they way it looks, the knob feels, how it looks or preforms. Alot of peole like onkyo, but i find it to be ok… For a cheap reciever, ive allways used Yamaha. But id prefer the onkyo over the harmon in this case.

What do you plan on driving with this? For any set of real speakers, the 145w or whatever my yamaha is rated at is nowhere near enough. It struggles to get some decent bass response. But thats what you get for a couple hundred bucks…

Surf on audiogon a bit.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?intamult&1202762281

Something like that is a much better value. Also, anything above a 6 or 7/10 on there is basically brand-new condition.

Weird, usually you only hear really good shit about em. :gotme: go figure.

If you really want the best answers : www.avsforum.com

Some amazingly huge tech nerds on there, theyll get you set up with just what you want. If it was me I’d still just get the HK and call it a day. :clap:

I’ve been looking at Avsforum and they porvide great information but they are all over the place with recommendations. Some like Onkyo, some like H/K, some like Denon. There is no clear definitive answer on which is best. I think it is going to come down to which I can get for less.

I plan to run some Polk R50’s, 150’s or similar and a Dayton 100 or 120 sub. Again, nothing crazy.

Thanks.

Onkyo

Have the H/K and love it.

Onkyo FTW.

in the end when you get it home, i am sure you will never, ever, ever know the difference. pick the one that matches your shit the best i guess, for me thats the h/k one, so i voted that :stuck_out_tongue:

just my $.02

Quoted for truth.

X…

You are right, sir.

The problem I have now is that it looks like neither will fit into the holes in my entertainment console. Crap.

I think I am leaning towards the H/K based on its clean look, and superior sound quality.

Thanks everyone.

you will get better sound out of the onkyo :slight_smile:

I hate my H/K in my car, its sucks ass

Not true, I can swap between my current and my old components and I can tell the difference

A great deal of folks on AVSforum tend to differ. The consensus seems to be:

Onkyo: Better Features
H/K: Better Sound Quality

Both pretty close to being the same overall.

I own and recommend you look into Marantz. H/K went downhill a decade ago and Onkyo is just so-so (you can do better).

and chino, come on, I expect that sort of post from something with a vagina.