Our E85 can cause injector black tar..(pics inside)

As longs as the injectors and pump are big enough than yes. That’s pretty much all I did. Just remember it wont be “FLEXFUEL”

Ive seen pictures of this stuff on quite a few different vehicles, even on cars “built” for e85, with lines tank/fuel cell everything in mind when putting it together still resulting in this black gunk

Ive seen pictures of this stuff on quite a few different vehicles, even on cars “built” for e85, with lines tank/fuel cell everything in mind when putting it together still resulting in this black gunk

So I either have to run a tune for E85 or 93?

Travis,
Any chance you have Aeromotive fuel pumps?

I ask because I have Aeromotive340 pumps which claimed to be E85 safe, but after about 3k miles my fuel filter was filed with black gunk. I later learned the black gunk was the black finish on the fuel pumps, that had been ‘eaten away’ by the E85.:banghead

Correct. Altho your PCM will probably accept a flex fuel tune but you will still need the ethanol content sensor and wire it into your PCM.

I took a few pics of my injectors that I will post up tomorrow. All except for one were all as clean as the day I put them in. One injector had a little corrosion or build up on it but not bad. Definitely no black gunk!

I’d like more information on this as well since i’ll be running E-85 in my Evo very soon.

Warboro 255’s sir.

I should have the flow numbers tomorrow.

I sent my injectors out for cleaning a few months ago… when I pulled them, they were clean… flow sheet did show that they were down a little but nothing to be concerned about… I ran every 3rd tank pump over the summer…

I dont understand where the e85 could have caused this… I think there may be something else going on… fuel line, pump etc… I know travis makes sure he has the correct parts… but you never know.

Ray, I’m replacing the rubber (non aeroquip) lines soon and will inspect them for damage. And after that I’ll soak them in e85 for an extended period. Also going to cut open the fuel filter and inspect that. I still think that it’s a fuel issue though as its been replicated on a test bench with just e85 and heat.

I got the test results today and will post them later. Basically, flow was only down 5 percent on each one, but two had a spray pattern of “fair” and two were “bad”. I emailed Boost Lab to see what exactly the degraded flow pattern will and won’t affect.

I also cleaned my inline fuel filter before I ran pump each time… never noticed anything in the filter…

Here is the flow chart. I’m still awaiting a reply to an email that I sent today with some questions. I’ll post my question and the response when I get it.

Not surprising. I researched this problem extensively a few months ago and it’s a hit or miss problem that can even happen at a station that has provided ‘tarless’ fuel for awhile.

One of the questions that I asked is how often to run pump fuel.

great thread trav.

Thanks, N1GNasty.

Anyone tested the e85 around here yet?

For content? I have not yet. FWIW, last season it did not start to come up until the end of April.

NEVER!

On a more serious note… My intake air temps are far lower than yours I imagine as I am N/A. Maybe that’s why I didn’t experience the issue. Here it goes anyway…

oh wow

I will not be getting a flow chart or consulting my “tuner”