Outlook Express question

There is a guy who is running Outlook Express 6 here.

His outlook froze during send/receive so he reset his computer. When it came back on, half of his folders were gone and his inbox was empty.

I found all of his folders in the C:/documents and settings folder and they are dbx files. Is there a way to import them back into outlook to get his messages back that he had stored in those folders?

assuming the copys have been left on the exchagne? server… thenjust dump the account and recreate the pop? account and pull down his entire mailfile.

dbx’s can be handled wtih exmerge i believe. shouldn’t have to go that route

well shouldnt it have picked all that back up when he refreshed??

I think out mail is handled through another company. cause it is through http://mail.reynoldswebsolutions.com

maybe i should just get a hold of them?

i would recreatethe account and watch the mailfile re-build personally.

so just go into his outlook accounts and delete it, and then just add a new account like i would setting up outlook for the first time?

the only thing that im just worried about is that the folder database files are stored locally on the PC, not the server. so i dont see how they would just automatically show up and recreate

move the files, recreate the account, import the old files into new account

And also, check to see what message it downloaded last… I have (had actually) problems with my inbox getting corrupt when I would download messages that were spam and had special characters. Delete that message from the server before you start to download messages again.

And STOP using Outlook Express…

well that’s why i wrote (?) after exchange and pop in the first post.

the mail is coming from somewhere… to me the relay appears to be mail.domain.com (that you listed) so that’s the mail file.

now, don’t delte the old account, simply setup a new ccount name as account1 or some shit… try to pull down his mail.

one way to test would be to go to his existing account, tools - accounts, then click properties and server or whatevre and see if that box is checked to ‘leave a copy on server’… if so, then you’re golden… if not, then you’re not.

if there isn’t a copy on the server, and there aren’t any backups of his mailfile… then you are experiencing the reason there are DR plans for email.