Paint that heals itself

Scratch the paint on a 2008 Infiniti EX35 and, with any luck, you’ll never find the scratch.

The new, small crossover is the first Infiniti to be painted with what Nissan Motor Co. is calling “fluid finish” technology.

Nissan originally announced the technology in 2005 under the name “scratch guard,” but has dropped that marketing name. The paint is now used on a Nissan SUV sold in Japan called the X-Trail.

The EX, which will go on sale here in late December, is Nissan’s first North American vehicle with the special paint.

The secret to the technology is a clearcoat layer that contains an elastic resin. Because the resin retains fluidity for about three years into the car’s life, the coating flows back into shape, erasing minor scratches.

Tony Pearson, U.S. spokesman for Nissan and Infiniti technology, said the coating takes anywhere from a few hours to a few days to fully erase scratches. Air temperature and the depth of the scratch will affect healing time, he said.

wow thats fucking awesome

innovative technology that everyone can appreciate :slight_smile:

if you had a bigger collision, i wonder how much more it cost to get panels resprayed with it, etc

any technical information about it?

About time because Nissan/Infiniti paint blowssss

i posted this back in '05 when they first started using it - glad to see it’s making it to the states

$5 says it contains high levels of Lead.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:2,topic:34191"”]

if you had a bigger collision, i wonder how much more it cost to get panels resprayed with it, etc

[/quote]

x2

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5608&highlight=primer+mode

led me to one of my early funny lol posts

lol

told you it was funny

yeha i wonder how much.
id love to get my car painted with this but not at 10k cost though.